Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: John Deere Snowblower Impeller Kit 54 inch

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

John Deere Snowblower Impeller Kit 54 inch

Has anyone installed a impeller kit for their John Deere 54 inch snow blower. I see that many people modify their snow blowers with rubber on the impeller paddles so that they can blow the slush a whole lot better. Thanks for any input on this subject.
    Last edited by stu19511; 02-12-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    r1025r, Curtis Hard Cab, 54D mid mount auto connect mower deck with mulch kit, ,54" front mount snow blower, H120 Loader, Heavy Hitch, Kens Bolt on Grab Hooks. Pallet Forks ,JD Ballast Box
    Front mount JD thatcher, Smyth sweeper 44″ Tag-Along with Collecting Bin (44TB), Hardi Estate Sprayer 3pt PTO. John Deere 2011 X748 60 7 iron inch deck, Bluebird TA10 36inch Towable Aerator with Hydraulic Lift, Reist D72/center hydaulic link Landscape In-Fielder Groomer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stu19511 View Post
    Has anyone installed a impeller kit for their John Deere 54 inch snow blower. I see that many people modify their snow blowers with rubber on the impeller paddles so that they can blow the slush a whole lot better. Thanks for any input on this subject.
    If you have nice sticky slushy snow it will fill in the chute to impeller clearance. Thus you get the same effect as closing down the gap making the impeller more efficient.

My 54" with the plastic impeller throws the sloppy snow way better than I expected it would. In fact water shoots out with the snow too. Keep in mind the plastic impeller is like a turbo charger impeller and all closed off. More so than the steel version. Just my observations.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genesusie View Post
    Keep in mind the plastic impeller is like a turbo charger impeller and all closed off. More so than the steel version. Just my observations.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "closed off". The plastic impeller fins are just straight plastic blades. The fins on the steel impeller have little "cups" on the ends. I believe this is what helps the steel impeller work better. If you look at the impellers on rear 3PH blowers and most walk behind blowers they too have little cups on the fins of the impeller.
    sterling40man and tj1 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    What?

They made a version of the 54" blower with a plastic impeller?

Mine is steel, and I have blown "snow" that was literally about half water out of my driveway without plugging.
    tj1 likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks
    Just did it to my 47" but haven't had snow since doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tj1 likes this.
    '03 2210 John Deere with 210 Loader, Curtis Cab w/heat, 47" snowblower, mower deck, JD ballast box, Artillian fork frame w/hitch - 36" forks - front hoe bucket. Map of Tractor Owners

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJgrn78 View Post
    What?

They made a version of the 54" blower with a plastic impeller?

Mine is steel, and I have blown "snow" that was literally about half water out of my driveway without plugging.
    I'm not sure exactly when production changed from steel to plastic but my 54" blower is 4 years old and it came with a plastic impeller. I changed it to steel after using it the first season.
    tj1 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks
    I have the 47" blower (they are the same except for the size) and I did switch to the steel impeller from that plastic and I saw a big improvement with slushy snow.. WOT and hardly ever gets plugged up. The plastic used to plug constantly.. The steel impeller also throws much further. MY only issue was paying over 200 bucks for the impeller! But glad I did. The other issue I had with the plastic was it was not tight to the metal parts that connect to the driveshaft (you have to look at one to see what I am talking about) , it had a lot of play while the shaft stayed still... Lousy construction in my opinion or quality control. I usually don't use WOT either, about 3/4 throttle and my blower works great, but when I get near the road piles the salt the town spreads makes the snow very wet and then WOT for sure.... If it does get plugged up I need to ride all the way back to the garage to unplug it (they do pack tight) and that requires a beer... Maybe I should have kept the plastic?
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftaylor View Post
    I have the 47" blower (they are the same except for the size) and I did switch to the steel impeller from that plastic and I saw a big improvement with slushy snow.. Maybe I should have kept the plastic?
    Said no one ever who made the switch. :-)
    johnH123 likes this.

11. Top | #9
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Said no one ever who made the switch. :-)
    Agreed,,, the comment was for more beer (If I kept the plastic) Heated cabs get hot!
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftaylor View Post
    I have the 47" blower (they are the same except for the size) and I did switch to the steel impeller from that plastic and I saw a big improvement with slushy snow.. WOT and hardly ever gets plugged up. The plastic used to plug constantly.. The steel impeller also throws much further. MY only issue was paying over 200 bucks for the impeller! But glad I did. The other issue I had with the plastic was it was not tight to the metal parts that connect to the driveshaft (you have to look at one to see what I am talking about) , it had a lot of play while the shaft stayed still... Lousy construction in my opinion or quality control. I usually don't use WOT either, about 3/4 throttle and my blower works great, but when I get near the road piles the salt the town spreads makes the snow very wet and then WOT for sure.... If it does get plugged up I need to ride all the way back to the garage to unplug it (they do pack tight) and that requires a beer... Maybe I should have kept the plastic?
    The beer cup holder is on the fender for a reason.......... A cut down plumber's plunger works good. I only had one clog in 4 years and that was the first year of purchase. I have plastic impeller version and will keep it on the blower unless it "breaks". I don't want to fix anything that's not broke. Impeller is still tight, knock on wood. But I do believe in preventive maintenance. Having extra bearings and chain with master links is only good way of being prepared for problems that could arise. Being a non spender if I don't have to, 200 bucks is a lot of beer. I did speed up my 54" snow blower drive by 10% using a 36T sprocket. That was cheap Sprocket 40B36H Heat treated Type B for #40 Roller Chain 36 Tooth with 1" Bore for $26.90. Fixed potential wobble 40T sprocket. I did have to shorten chain a couple links. Now snow goes farther and still runs engine in maximum torque band at 2800 RPM in stead of wide open.

I don't have both steel and plastic impellers side by side to compare vane depth and areas. Keep in mind the greater the speed at the vane tips the faster the snow will be flung. Adding material to the vane tips makes the area greater and tips longer against the housing wall increasing efficiency. Vane design could increase pressure build but not snow speed. If this were a pump say for water or a turbo the vane configuration would make more of a difference. Yes a complex involute contour and surface quality could help snow release but I doubt JD put any science into the design. My guess is the cost to produce was the main concern.

Anybody got pictures and measurements of the two impeller configuration side by side.
    tj1 and stu19511 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast