I Hitch and King Kutter II 4' compatible out of box?
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By ErikR
  • 1 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By MeagerHair
  • 2 Post By Madwiese1

Thread: I Hitch and King Kutter II 4' compatible out of box?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-01-2019 @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks

I Hitch and King Kutter II 4' compatible out of box?

Looking at a 4 ft King kutter tiller. Read some posts about people having to cut shafts ect. I am interested in the KKII or the KK subcompact model, but I need a definitive answer as to will it fit or not

JD1025r

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Thanks
    Good morning, and welcome.

That tiller question gets asked a lot around here.

The PTO shaft may need to be cut to the correct length. Not all tractor 3 point hitch dimensions are the same between all tractors.

The yellow, 48" KK tiller should be a simple connection, PTO shaft length issue?

Remember, if you're using the JD imatch or any of the other quick hitches, like the Speeco.........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0049.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	319954

..... you will need to attach bushings on the lower lift pins, and top link pin, to get the correct fit.

Like this...

Name:	z1.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	319962

Name:	z2.JPG 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	319970

Name:	z3.JPG 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	319978

Name:	z4.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	319986

In the first pic, the bushing is a Cat 1 to Cat 3, held on by a roll pin. $17 to $35 a set at the local farm store The other 3 pics show a Cat 1 top link pin with a Cat 1 to Cat 2 bushing, and a Cat 2 to Cat 3 bushing. Watch the packaging, the "top link" bushing sizes are different than the "lift pin" sizes... (just a handy hint to help you avoid a second trip to town... )

The orange, 48" or 54",XB compact tillers can easily be modified to fit an imatch or other hitches with no welding or cutting... One of the members here, timmarks, made a video showing how he did it. I think he'll be OK with me posting it here for you. A simple conversion, just wrench work on the top pin and swap out the lower lift pins with longer...

Good luck, and post pics... we like pictures!
    Last edited by ErikR; 02-25-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madwiese1 View Post
    Looking at a 4 ft King kutter tiller. Read some posts about people having to cut shafts ect. I am interested in the KKII or the KK subcompact model, but I need a definitive answer as to will it fit or not

JD1025r
    Keep in mind that iMatch compatibility and the need to cut PTO shafts are two distinctly different things. Every generic PTO-driven device will include directions with it on how to measure and determine if you need to cut down the shaft.

The manuals for the KK TG-48-XB and the KK II make no mention of them being Quick Hitch compatible and some others have reported problems with the bottom pins on the XB not being long enough so they had to replace them to get it to work.

You'd probably have to contact KK directly and ask. Their customer service number is (205)487-3202.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    You always need to check shaft length per direction and lots of YT videos before you use a new implement. Many thousands in tractor repair costs are possible if you do not take 10 mins to check shaft length.

Shaft issue will be if you size it for running with the QH on it may be too long too long if you try to use without the QH. If you you size your shafts and then buy a QH you sometimes need to get new shafts since they are too short. The QH sets the implement back a few inches more.

If you put some thought in when sizing your shaft you should be ok. Too long breaks the tractor so you can never have that. Tiller is tighter but brush hog shaft I measured both ways with QH on and off (blue sharpie and red sharpie) and then found the sweet spot that left enough overlap with the QH on and left it short enough with the QH off.

In hind sight it was a waste of time, because I have no clue why I would ever want to wrestle the brush hog on without the QH. If you have never parked an implement with the QH it is easiest to pick back up if you leave it slightly nose down. (i.e. with brush hog I always leave a 4x4 under the back of it) Once the top is in and you lift the rest just glides into place.
    Last edited by MeagerHair; 02-25-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Thanks
    Here is a very good video on how to measure and cut a PTO shaft.

PTO Shaft How-to

Also if a PTO shaft is too short you can use an extension, these are available in different lengths.

I have used this one and works great for me.

PTO Extension
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok everyone thank you, I think I finally understand. I don't receive my tractor until Tuesday and having never owned one was still uncertain how this worked. I was just trying to get all my ducks in a row. Having read previous posts on the subject, I guess I just did don't understand what I was reading so it didn't make sense.
    ColonyPark and BigJim55 like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Thanks
    I've been reading up on this issue since I'm planning to buy a tiller soon for my 2520. I decided to call King Kutter to ask them about quick hitch issues with their KK II 60" and also PTO shaft length. I was surprised when the guy at KK said that they do not consider their KK II to be quick hitch compatible. He said quick hitch manufacturers, specifically the JD iMatch, don't follow the standard sizes well enough to make them work. Huh.

Obviously there are a lot of people out there that seem to have a KK II tiller and use a quick hitch. I'm hoping that I don't encounter any major problems, but I guess since I'll only need the tiller twice a year it is probably fine if I have to not use the iMatch with it. It won't stop me from buying the tiller. Anyone want to chime in with real world experience with the KK II 60" and a JD 2-series like the 2520/2720?

I also learned something else new today about these tillers. Apparently there are two almost identical KK tiller lines. King Kutter II and King Kutter Professional. The guy at KK said they are basically the same in regards to driveline/gearboxes and tines, but the pro has a more rounded top which keeps debris from gathering (and doesn't hold rain). Now that I know this I actually do see the differences on the web site but previously I thought there was just one product line (besides the XB sub-compact stuff). Anyone know of any other differences between the II and Pro?

Thanks,
    Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    I just picked up a KKII 60" for my new 2038R on Saturday all I had to do was add the Bushing kit and it fits up to my imatch. I looked at the KKII and the KK Professional models in the store, the pro model is painted JD green(almost) and that was the main difference I could see besides the $100 price difference(may have been some other small things as stated) but the driveline and tines looked the same. Had to add oil and grease the fittings, other than that seems solid, will find out for sure when the new garden gets tilled up in a few months.
    Last edited by Kingnuke32; 03-06-2017 at 03:18 PM.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Sorry to revive this thread and renew it, but I have a question. I ended up buying the yellow King kutter 48" and a HF quick hitch.

I got the bushing set on the arms (took 2 hours to. Get the roll pins on, had to drill out holes a little bit) and noticed my QH fits on the top pin just fine without having a bushing on it. Do I need to change the bolt out to put a bushing on? Or can I just use that bolt with a sleeve on it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170408_145036_1491697724698.jpg  

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madwiese1 View Post
    Sorry to revive this thread and renew it, but I have a question. I ended up buying the yellow King kutter 48" and a HF quick hitch.

I got the bushing set on the arms (took 2 hours to. Get the roll pins on, had to drill out holes a little bit) and noticed my QH fits on the top pin just fine without having a bushing on it. Do I need to change the bolt out to put a bushing on? Or can I just use that bolt with a sleeve on it?
    That bolt with the 1.25" sleeve is fine for use with your quick hitch. That is the correct cat 3 top link dimension. As long as your quick hitch's hook seats on it and the bottom pins sit in the lower hooks you're good.

Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements