Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By green and red man

Thread: Help with a 41 H.....

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-26-2013 @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks

Help with a 41 H.....

Hi guys, I have a 41 H that has just been bored out to .060 over with EGGE pistons and rings, a new head with new, guides, seats, locks and valves. Real good compression, valves set at .015, timing is right on, new carb from Branson set at 1 1/4 turns on idle, 3/4 on load, mag is brand new with points set at .015, nice bright blue spark. My problem is that I can't keep it running! It will start up and run at slow idle and when I give it throttle it spits and sputters like it is either out of time (which it is not) or not getting enough fuel. The only thing I have not checked is the governor/weights. Could this be causing those symptoms? Any ideas would help at this point. Thanks in advance.*

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    Be sure and check the intake manifold, gasket, and the mounting surfaces for air leaks.

PaDave likes this.
    The man who wins is the one who thinks he can.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

–Henry Ford

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    What do you have for a gas tank? Could there be crud floating in it and getting sucked to the bottom when it ran?
    Matt

NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    if you try and run up the speed at the carb will it? You should sorta be able to see the linkage try and move when you run it from the throttle, but if you try at the carb that may give you some more insight. When it is running, try spraying a little brake cleaner around the manifold, if you have leaks you will hear it in the motor. What does the sediment bowl look like? I have had the cork gasket and screen break down and suck pieces through not letting it run until the suction is clear, then they would run great again till another chuck pulled through.

Hope that helps cause it sounds like it outta be quite a running little H, might make the B's run scared lol

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you for the replies. To answer some questions you posted; the manifold gasket, gasket surfaces, studs, and nuts were all new or like new bright and shiny. The manifold itself is the original. The sediment bowl has completely new cork and screen....and is completely unobstructed. The gas tank was completely stripped and relined. I took the governor shaft assy out and found quite a bit of "slop" in the weights and pins. The timing marks were right on. The left cage bearing is also questionable as it is not as tight as it should be on the pressed on bearing cup (race). Could the backlash on the bevel gear be a factor? I know this probably won't cause my problem but it could be be part of a bigger problem that is. BTW my fuel is new, so there is no issues there. Thanks again!!

8. Top | #6
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    The other thing that needs mentioning here is the air filter. Is it the factory oil filled air filter or an aftermarket pleated filter? This will have a huge effect on carb settings.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    thanks, it is the factory oil filled filter.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    If the inner part of the filter hasn't been cleaned, you can use kerosene to help get the gunk and dirt out.

Last edited by green and red man; 09-25-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    The man who wins is the one who thinks he can.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

–Henry Ford

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements