John Deere "B" - need PTO shaft removal procedure

Thread: John Deere "B" - need PTO shaft removal procedure

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-02-2013 @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks

John Deere "B" - need PTO shaft removal procedure

I have a 1947 John Deere "B" (serial #": 219450). I have about a half inch of horizontal play on the (powertrol equipped) pto shaft....it goes in-and-out when the pto is running. I want to remove the pto shaft to inspect it for internal damage. I have a technical manual but find the pto shaft removal procedure in it to be rather vague. I've reserached the "B" pto shaft removal process on-line and can't find anything. If anyone can give me a "B" pto shaft removal procedure I'd be much appreciative. Thanks for reading my request.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    I have a sneaky suspicion you'll have to remove the entire rockshaft/powertrol unit off of the rear-end as a unit to do any real repairs.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    Im pretty sure Jason is correct, you will need to remove the rockshaft to be able to get into to look and see what exactly is wore to allow that much play in the shaft.

All the manuals i have are for tractors with live power, so they are a bit different, but you are going to have to take the rockshaft off to be able to see what is causing the play on the shaft. There are a couple of different snap rings in there that hold different sections of the shaft into some couplers that run up to the power shaft drive and they are not pleasant to get out. There are a few different bearings and gears in there and I am not enough of an expert to tell you which ones you should look at first, but my guess is you will definitely know it when you see it.

I am not sure whose service manual you have, but the parts manual may help you out, you can down load that for free from john deeres website, that should give you a lot more insight to all the components involved.

Good luck and let us know what you find, you may be able to help someone else out when you have yours apart and find the problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    This may not be of any help, but my 60 PTO shaft has no means of securing the shaft within the trans. The couplers just slide on. They can't move back or forwards. Only removal of the rockshaft assembly will allow the shaft to come out. There's a ton of similarities between all of the two cylinder tractors, but this could be different. My 60 also has an engine driven PTO rather than the transmission driven, but the internal shaft is virtually the same design.

This is looking right at the stub shaft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381188981.607571.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	22442

Here you can see the rear coupler.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381189064.856807.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	22443

Here's the stub shaft laying in the bottom right after removal of the rockshaft assembly.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381189114.673123.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	22444

At least this will give you an idea of what you're up against.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tlock0331 View Post
    Im pretty sure Jason is correct, you will need to remove the rockshaft to be able to get into to look and see what exactly is wore to allow that much play in the shaft.

All the manuals i have are for tractors with live power, so they are a bit different, but you are going to have to take the rockshaft off to be able to see what is causing the play on the shaft. There are a couple of different snap rings in there that hold different sections of the shaft into some couplers that run up to the power shaft drive and they are not pleasant to get out. There are a few different bearings and gears in there and I am not enough of an expert to tell you which ones you should look at first, but my guess is you will definitely know it when you see it.

I am not sure whose service manual you have, but the parts manual may help you out, you can down load that for free from john deeres website, that should give you a lot more insight to all the components involved.

Good luck and let us know what you find, you may be able to help someone else out when you have yours apart and find the problem.
    Thanks for the responses. I wrote in to Mr Thinker at Green Magazine about my problem and he told me that I should not have that much horizontal play in my pto shaft and that I need to repair it but he didn't go into detail about the work involved....he did say that it is "not particularly fun"! I have an IT repair manual but found it to be vague about next steps but that may be because of my inexperience of fixing B pto/power-trol problems.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your responses. Tomorrow I plan to take at close look at the B repair manual I have and the powertrol unit on the tractor to see what's involved with it's removal - it nothing else it looks heavy! I also plan to check out the John Deere site to identify the parts associated with the pto shaft. Thanks again.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements