Thread: Just out of curiosity...

1. Top | #1
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts

Question Just out of curiosity...

Y'all know I'm going through a mild "crustoration" on my model 60 over in the restore forum.

My question to you guys is this. Do I go ahead and pull the motor apart and go through it or leave it be and just get it running? My Grandpa was ready to go out and start it when I got it, but it's a ways away from that, even then. I am going to rebuild the water pump, carb, distributor, and possibly the oil pump and governor. I'll be pulling the top cover off and thoroughly cleaning it as well. It would be much more work other than gaskets and rings to pull the head off. The only real issue becomes of that is, what pistons do I install? Do I bore it? I'd like this to be a useable tractor, look fairly stock, but be very reliable, and lastly I'd like to maybe pull with it at the local tractor shows and such.

Thoughts?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    If I pulled the cylinders, I'd think about having them chromed, if they are out of specs. Then they would be good for our lifetimes! (And yes, I't probably plan on pulling the cylinders! Easier to do it while you are restoring, than having to do it later. JMO)
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    If I pulled the cylinders, I'd think about having them chromed, if they are out of specs. Then they would be good for our lifetimes! (And yes, I't probably plan on pulling the cylinders! Easier to do it while you are restoring, than having to do it later. JMO)
    Ha Ha. You've been working on radials too long. I don't think the cylinders come off.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Thanks
    Just my .02 worth. How can you say it is restored if the engine is still original??? But more important, how happy would you be if you were in a parade or some other public venue and the engine decided to crap out on you. It would seem a shame to do all the restoration work that you are already doing and not finish the job with possibly the most important part. Reliability will always be in question until you rebuild the engine. A stock rebuild would seem to be just fine unless you really want to turn up the power for the tractor pulls.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    Ha Ha. You've been working on radials too long. I don't think the cylinders come off.
    The cylinder block does come out as one piece. The crankcase is the the same casting as the trans. This is where the s/n resides.

Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    Just my .02 worth. How can you say it is restored if the engine is still original??? But more important, how happy would you be if you were in a parade or some other public venue and the engine decided to crap out on you. It would seem a shame to do all the restoration work that you are already doing and not finish the job with possibly the most important part. Reliability will always be in question until you rebuild the engine. A stock rebuild would seem to be just fine unless you really want to turn up the power for the tractor pulls.

Dave
    I'm not doing a restoration.... I'm still not positive I'm even going to paint it! My goal is to have a good mechanically operating tractor that no one is afraid to get on and use. My Grandpa wouldn't have cared if it looked good. As long as it ran good, he was all set. I'm going to give the project my own twist of course, but the overall goal is not a factory restoration that you commonly see at tractor shows.

I will at a minimum go through the items I listed earlier, as well as a thorough inspection to insure reliability. I'm just not sure if I'm going to completely rebuild it and put more ponies in it. At least right now.....
    farmgirl19 and felixm22 like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I probably wouldn't tear it all the way down right now.

Get it running. Enjoy it. Run it for a while and decide exactly what you want to do for power mods and the like.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    You have done such a great job on Grandpa thus far, would have to go through the engine as well if it where me, especially if you are thinking of pulling with it. Hopefully you won't have any major setbacks once you get it apart. It's only time and money which we all have plenty of right?
    dieselshadow likes this.
    Vern

[COLOR="#008000"]2012 1026R w/loaded R3's, H120 FEL, Artillian forks, Ken's hooks, auto 54D mower deck, 54 front quick hitch blade
    Heavy Hitch front weight bracket, Omni Transformer hitch and subsoiler, 8-42lb. hang on weights, psrumors seat spring upgrade, Land Pride 54" box blade, Frontier LR2060 landscape rake, J.D. IMatch, Bxpanded tooth bar, backhoe thumb and quick change b/h bucket adapter, recently added 260 backhoe and gently used JD 647 tiller.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Well I the type of guy that buys something and has to take it apart as soon as I get home to see how it works. So if it were me I would probably take the engine apart if for nothing else to see how it works.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    I think I'd get it running and see how I like the sound. If it's not "right" then I go further into it. Like you said, you're not necessarily looking for it to be show quality.

And, btw, you're doing a great job.
    dieselshadow likes this.
    Wayne
    2013 JD 4520 CUT with 400X FEL
    1942 LA John Deere
    1910 John Deere Freight Wagon (restored)
    1946 John Deere Series 300 two disk plow

12. Top | #10
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    You say that like it is a bad thing. Hey, at least I could attempt to understand those engines. All of the new fangled stuff, with computer chips no less, well, I'll never understand those things!
    dieselshadow and arlen like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast