• 1 Post By dieselshadow

Thread: John Deere A camshaft removal

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-30-2017 @ 02:08 PM
    Thanks

John Deere A camshaft removal

Hello,
    I have a 1946 A I'm trying to get the cam out of. The guy who owned it before me was running a cordwood saw when he said it just shut off. I'm not sure what happened but the bolts that bolt to the cam gear all broke so the cam wasn't turning. I've been following the I&T manual but it's not very specific. I removed the left side cam bearing according to the manual but it seems I dont have enough room to get the gear off the cam as the peice it bolts into is hitting the crankcase casting. What side is the cam supposed to come out of and what am I doing wrong? If anyone's done this job before your insight is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0198.JPG   IMG_0200.JPG   IMG_0196.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,256 Times in 2,562 Posts

Thumbs up Welcome to GTT!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the cam is like part #1 in engine assembly. The gear is supposed to be a press fit, at least on the later models. Major engine dissaembly is required to get the cam out and in. IIRC the crank must be removed so it can come out the top or through a crank bearing hole.
    89420 likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

89420 (05-01-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Hopefully the escaping bolts didn't do any damage on their way out!

Get yourself a real John Deere manual. Those IT manuals are to generic to be of much use.

Another great source of information about old tractors are old farmers. There's bound to be someone in your area who has done a few war-era Model A restorations; swap meets and tractor shows are great places to find them.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements