11 Degrees & lotsa wind cancelled gen/alt change-over project for a spell

Thread: 11 Degrees & lotsa wind cancelled gen/alt change-over project for a spell

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks

11 Degrees & lotsa wind cancelled gen/alt change-over project for a spell

I mentioned changing my 720 over to an alternator. Welllllllll.......someone here commented that the gen system always seemed to be a good one. I agree. My '61 car is still using its original gen/voltage regulator. 1962 race car even had one on until about 5years ago, wound it up to 7200 way more times than can be counted.......... Wifes '63 has the first of across the marque alternators/regulators. Couple years later they eliminated the external regulators.

With the built in regulators, should be an easy swap........not so. The positive grnd is the worm in the woodwork here. Has complicated coil & amp/volt meter......I dont know which the JD has.

Anyway, I took the gen/reg to the local shop to have it tested.........would you believe they gathered around & laughed at it???? Then they had to call the testing machine mfgr to find out how to attach it to the machine & how to hook things up for the testing. Result was......no test. They did find me a new regulator, $21.00.

Isnt there a 'field' test for gens??? Hook a hot wire to the ???post, ground the case & a good one should run like a motor does??? Donnas older tiller uses the gen to start the engine. Used to be std practice on Simplicity mower/garden tractors........

PJH

View going in the gate...11degrees

Home made bracket & alt mounted w/no other mods.

Smaller welding lead replacement for orig too short battery cable. Not much to see here, all the work was behind the flywheel cover!!!! With this one, I can leave enuff length no matter which way the battery sits.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Your tractor definitely looks to be in real good shape.

I will be going forward with installing a one-wire alternator along with a new wiring harness and gauges. Don't have much choice on the gauges. They're all busted and I can't trust them. After all the work I'm doing, I'm not going to not have reliable and trustworthy wiring and gauges.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-13-2019 @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks
    Looks good. That's the way to go if you aren't concerned with keeping it original. I was working on my generator today till I got called for grandkid watching detail. Brushes looked good except that one of them wasn't hooked up. Cleaned up the armature and replaced the front bearing. Will paint and reassemble tomorrow. Just hope my gen rebuilding skills from the 60s still work. Fixed a lot of tourists generator light problems back then coming down Highway 30 stopping in my home town. It was beer money and not much work.

11 degrees... About what it was here a couple hours after the sun came up.. -2 when I got up at 5:30 to feed the dogs. Just good football weather....

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks

football

My 11 was well into the afternoon sunshine....our local weather folks informed us that it was colder here than in Alaska.........???!!!

I like original, one reason I am going back to gen........and the mentioned glitchs that need to be over come. Not looking to have to take the dash panel out to rewire whatever gets funky after the alt. is in service. My gen. has its original paint.......... I will not live long enuff to do a restoration of this tractor. Next guy maybe.......her attitude is that it is a never sell.

"Football weather"...... Seems many southern stadiums have roofs...........where as many northern ones dont. There is a potential squabble brewing over the Super Bowl location temp. I personally think the game should not be played when/where the temp is below freezing. There are plenty of indoor stadiums for winter use.

PJH
    Last edited by heckinohio; 01-07-2014 at 02:31 AM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    if your local shop laughed and had to call someone on how to test a generator i may think about using a different shop haha

when i test mine, all i do is put it in the vise, spin it with an impact and meter the posts to each other and to ground and see if i have anything, then test the regulator. I dont have one in front of me right now so i cant tell you which ones you should have voltage on, but most regulators can be taken apart and see if anything is burnt up.

- sometimes all they need is energized - basically putting 12 volts on the posts for a second and that sets the magnetic fields, i have to do that on my generator welder sometimes when it sets for a long time, and its actually a generator out of a B-17, ill have to take some pictures of it sometime.

swapping to an alternator is okay, i have a a 50 that was switched over, but i havent really ever seen the point, unless you wanted to upgrade to electronic ignition, but other than that, these tractors ran for years with them and they are just as easy to work on as buying a new gm alternator, but as they say, whatever floats your boat.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks

Gen/reg

As mentioned, Donnas old Simplicity tiller uses the gen as a starter. So that has to be a test possibility as I dont think I have a meter set up for the testing mentioned above.

I am familiar with the need to polarize the regulator. This tractor does sit for extended periods, which may account for intermittent gen operation. Does anyone remember just which posts on the reg need to have what done???

I worked briefly on it yesterday, but my Ford tractor lost its battery & that was a bit of a priority, was an easy fix too. I need to finish taping the smaller wires to the new battery cable & mount the whole assembly to the rear of the foot platform just below where it goes into the battery box/seat.

Any input on polarizing the new regulator???

PJH

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 639 Posts
    Maybe this link will be of help. Polarizing Your Generator
    - Phil -
    *Spinner Free* LT160 Garden Tractor
    *Spinner Free* 3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    *Spinner Free* John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

Polarizing info

Many thanks........ Since there isnt much to it, I will write that info on an ammo can tag & hang it right on the gen mount.

PJH

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    My old IH with a 12 volt generator would have a voltage regulator fail about once a year. Not saying that's your issue, but might be worth checking on.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks

Polarizing gen after storage

Did you read the link information above about the polarizing???

Reading between the lines has kinda revealed my problem, tractor sitting for long periods of time. Since polarizing is so simple, might pay to do it if your start ups are more than 2-3months apart.

My '61 car sits for 6months at a time but always works perfectly on start up..........makes my comment not so valid....???

PJH
    Last edited by heckinohio; 01-13-2014 at 06:22 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements