• 2 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: Ballpark price please for John Deere A 1945-49

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-05-2018 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks

Ballpark price please for John Deere A 1945-49

Hello,

First time poster. This spring, I've decided to part with my old A. I've had it since the early 70s. My father-in-law was a John Deere mechanic for more than 60 years. When I told him I wanted to buy a tractor at the time, he bought an A from a farmer he knew and completely went through it, then sold it to me. He told me he used parts from 1945-49 when going through it. This always reminds me of the Johny Cash song! The tractor has been stored in my pole garage. The most I used it for was when we were burning with wood and every Sunday, I would haul a load of firewood in the snow bucket up to the basement window. There I would hand the wood to my wife who stacked it by the stove.

There is new rubber all around and comes with a Paulson loader. The snow bucket fits over the manure bucket. There is also a saw rig complete with the mandrel, blade, and belt. My father in law had also converted the tractor to 12 volt. The paint job is still in good shape. I've never had any problems with the tractor but it's time to sell. My father in law is now gone, I'm getting up there in age, and don't have anywhere near the knowledge he had in fixing the tractor if something goes wrong with it. Besides, it's hard to get parts and no one up here in northern Minnesota would be able to fix it. I feel bad about parting with it but my father in law would also tell me, "Sell it if you're not using it! Those old A's are meant to be worked!"

I would appreciate any ballpark figures what the tractor would be worth. I'm not looking to gouge anyone but I don't want to give it away either.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,419 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryS View Post
    Hello,

First time poster. This spring, I've decided to part with my old A. I've had it since the early 70s. My father-in-law was a John Deere mechanic for more than 60 years. When I told him I wanted to buy a tractor at the time, he bought an A from a farmer he knew and completely went through it, then sold it to me. He told me he used parts from 1945-49 when going through it. This always reminds me of the Johny Cash song! The tractor has been stored in my pole garage. The most I used it for was when we were burning with wood and every Sunday, I would haul a load of firewood in the snow bucket up to the basement window. There I would hand the wood to my wife who stacked it by the stove.

There is new rubber all around and comes with a Paulson loader. The snow bucket fits over the manure bucket. There is also a saw rig complete with the mandrel, blade, and belt. My father in law had also converted the tractor to 12 volt. The paint job is still in good shape. I've never had any problems with the tractor but it's time to sell. My father in law is now gone, I'm getting up there in age, and don't have anywhere near the knowledge he had in fixing the tractor if something goes wrong with it. Besides, it's hard to get parts and no one up here in northern Minnesota would be able to fix it. I feel bad about parting with it but my father in law would also tell me, "Sell it if you're not using it! Those old A's are meant to be worked!"

I would appreciate any ballpark figures what the tractor would be worth. I'm not looking to gouge anyone but I don't want to give it away either.

Thank you.

Welcome to GTT.....

Here is a place to start to give you a range of prices, condition and the way they are equipped.....

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...er=2&scf=False

Just like anything, the right buyer can make all the difference in the world.

As you can see, there is quite a range of values. Also, sadly, the older tractors and other equipment have seen serious declines in value when compared to their peak values years ago, as there are fewer and fewer collectors and those who used these machines in their youth who now desire to own one.

Hope this link is helpful for you. There are other tractor selling sites you may also want to check. Just google it and you will see "Equipment Trader" and others who sell such items......

SB
    DRobinson and GerryS like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-05-2018 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Welcome to GTT.....

Here is a place to start to give you a range of prices, condition and the way they are equipped.....

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...er=2&scf=False

Just like anything, the right buyer can make all the difference in the world.

As you can see, there is quite a range of values. Also, sadly, the older tractors and other equipment have seen serious declines in value when compared to their peak values years ago, as there are fewer and fewer collectors and those who used these machines in their youth who now desire to own one.

Hope this link is helpful for you. There are other tractor selling sites you may also want to check. Just google it and you will see "Equipment Trader" and others who sell such items......

SB
    Thank you for the quick reply Sulley Bear. I will check out the link!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 01:56 PM
    Thanks
    Any pics?
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch