Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DRobinson

Thread: Push Rod Tubes Unstyled B

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-23-2014 @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks

Push Rod Tubes Unstyled B

I am having trouble trying to find out information on replacing push rod tubes on my 1935 B. I am in the processing of rebuilding the head and want to replace the tubes. I need to know the best way to remove the tubes, then replace them. Also, I would like to find a cheaper resource than John Deere for purchasing them. Please share your thought and suggestions. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,328 Times in 2,601 Posts

Thumbs up Welcome to GTT!

I'm assuming you're actually talking about the pushrods themselves instead of pushrod tubes since all of the two-cylinder Deere's the pushrods are inside the engine block.

Replacing the pushrods is super easy if you're pulling the head. All you need to do is remove the valve cover and then the rocker assembly off. It's fairly difficult (impossible actually) to find a spot on the cam that isn't putting pressure on one of the valves at any one time. Just turn the engine until you see that the valves are almost seated. No matter which way you look at it, when one valve is almost closing, another will be opening.

Once the rocker assembly is off, the pushrods just come out.

Getting used ones off ebay or another vendor online is pretty standard affair. There's plenty of parts available and they're very reasonable. Make sure to see pictures of the ends of the rods to ensure no excessive wear. Another great picture would be to see them laying flat on a table or something. This isn't a perfect guarantee against getting a bent pushrod, but it lets you know the seller has inspected them. Another place I like quite a bit is Davenport Tractor. Their prices are great, good selection, and great customer service. If OEM parts are still available from JD, (and some still are) I'd get them from Green Farm Parts. Their prices are the best you can find online, AND they offer additional discounts for GTT members. Their customer service and support is very excellent as well.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,443 Posts
    There are push rod sleeves in the head. If this link works (I have a terrible time copying parts book pages), they are key number 9 on page 10. I remember seeing them changed, but I can't remember if there was a special tool to remove and install or if they were gently pushed in. They are light gauge metal, maybe brass, that install in the cylinder head. I think they may have been eliminated when the letter series changed to the first Waterloo number series.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/pdfs/PC0330.pdf
    dieselshadow likes this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DRobinson For This Useful Post:

dieselshadow(09-22-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,328 Times in 2,601 Posts
    You da man Don! Excellent post.

That explains what/where the tubes the OP was referring to.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

DRobinson(09-22-2014)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-23-2014 @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, referring to the sleeves, or tube in the head which the rods go through. Hoping there was a cheaper resource than Deere, also hoping for a trick to remove other than a torch !

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,443 Posts
    If I recall correctly they are made from a very light gauge material. You may be able to drive them out with a small driver or correct size socket on an extension. It has been a long time, but 40 or 50 years ago, it was a common repair. Maybe JD110 will see this and have an idea. Do you have a service manual? The JD manual will show the proper tool; I don't know about and I&T manual.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements