Your favorite 2 cyl ever owned
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Your favorite 2 cyl ever owned

  1. Top | #1
    sweettractors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    11-26-2014 @ 11:15 PM
    Location
    Munfordville, Ky 42765 and Canmer ,Ky 42722
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Your favorite 2 cyl ever owned

    I have owned several, however, the 40T with 35 loader and 2 row cultivators that I bought for $1500 in 1975 was probably the most worked tractor on the farm for many years. We set tobacco with it, plowed our tobacco with it, raked hay, pulled hay and tobacco wagons, planted 40 acres of corn with a 2 row planter and loaded and unloaded machinery in our business for 20 years. I Did do 1 ring job for $175 and finally sold it with the loader in 2005 for $3500. What 2 cyl was your workhorse? Ken

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    10-31-2011 @ 02:39 PM
    Posts
    733
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I dont technically "own it"...but it belongs to my FIL..I can use it anytime :beer:
    JD 430C...I never realized how powerful a popper was until I drove one with tracks.

    As for which popper I'd personally love to have around...the plan is buy one as soon as I build my shop, great father & son project...it a toss up between a 435 and a 730 Diesel. What will make the difference is whatever one I find first...

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    11-29-2016 @ 09:25 PM
    Location
    Red Oak, Texas, United States
    Posts
    213
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I grew up on a John Deere model 40 with the old school tricycle front end. We restored it back in the day. Store it outside and well the exhaust manifold rusted out and the cylinders filled up with water. That wast not fun busting those pistons out. We fixed it up and kept it going.

    Man those old tractors are cool, but there is a reason why we don't use them any more. I know I would either be dead or missing some major body part by now.

    D.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    sweettractors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    11-26-2014 @ 11:15 PM
    Location
    Munfordville, Ky 42765 and Canmer ,Ky 42722
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddivinia View Post
    I grew up on a John Deere model 40 with the old school tricycle front end. We restored it back in the day. Store it outside and well the exhaust manifold rusted out and the cylinders filled up with water. That wast not fun busting those pistons out. We fixed it up and kept it going.

    Man those old tractors are cool, but there is a reason why we don't use them any more. I know I would either be dead or missing some major body part by now.

    D.
    I know what you mean, I turned my 40 T with 35 FEL over 1 time back in the eighties. I was lifting a log on a hillside and when she started coming off the ground at the rear. I jumped off and ran down the hill and the tractor rolled right behind me. Because the loader was on and the mounting brackets were above the hood line, I had no damage other than a busted muffler and little kink in the steering wheel. Ken

  7. Top | #5
    BleedGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    10-04-2010 @ 09:28 AM
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I do not own this, but I would like to... I know how much you guys like photos, so here is a very nice John Deere Model 50, tricycle with Front Loader. Enjoy!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50 tri.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	835.0 KB 
ID:	75

  8. Top | #6
    sweettractors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    11-26-2014 @ 11:15 PM
    Location
    Munfordville, Ky 42765 and Canmer ,Ky 42722
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That is one heck of a bucket for a 50. My 40T had a 4 ft bucket on it. That looks 6 ft in the picture?? Ken Sweet

  9. Top | #7
    Hans in Ohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Online
    12-01-2012 @ 10:49 PM
    Location
    Brookville, Ohio
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wow, that's a nice 50.... but WHAT A CLEAN SHOP!!!

    I've got a '48 B that is in the middle of an engine rebuild. It's my favorite because it belonged to my grandpa!

  10. Top | #8
    sweettractors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    11-26-2014 @ 11:15 PM
    Location
    Munfordville, Ky 42765 and Canmer ,Ky 42722
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans in Ohio View Post
    Wow, that's a nice 50.... but WHAT A CLEAN SHOP!!!

    I've got a '48 B that is in the middle of an engine rebuild. It's my favorite because it belonged to my grandpa!
    Post pictures when you can. Ken

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Online
    03-16-2015 @ 10:59 PM
    Location
    wakefield, kansas
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    old johnnys

    I'm 66, so I've been around these machines all my life and like them. I was gifted a 630 a few years back by my s.i.l., but it was a bit tired. Probably had not had an oil change in years. I stripped it down all I could without getting into the bowels too far, flushed everything out good, replaced about everything rubber, put a better nose piece on the end of hood, and brakes, painted it with JD paint, put a new seat. Thankfully the gears and engine were in good shape, just needed a lot of TLC to clean out the insides. I use it frequently to mow and disk a little 2 acre plot on the farm here. Tractor can set 3 months, just tickle the starter with choke on for 1 second, boom, she's a running. Love a 630.

  12. Top | #10
    sweettractors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    11-26-2014 @ 11:15 PM
    Location
    Munfordville, Ky 42765 and Canmer ,Ky 42722
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew44guns View Post
    I'm 66, so I've been around these machines all my life and like them. I was gifted a 630 a few years back by my s.i.l., but it was a bit tired. Probably had not had an oil change in years. I stripped it down all I could without getting into the bowels too far, flushed everything out good, replaced about everything rubber, put a better nose piece on the end of hood, and brakes, painted it with JD paint, put a new seat. Thankfully the gears and engine were in good shape, just needed a lot of TLC to clean out the insides. I use it frequently to mow and disk a little 2 acre plot on the farm here. Tractor can set 3 months, just tickle the starter with choke on for 1 second, boom, she's a running. Love a 630.

    Don't you just love that sound they make when you get them in a hard, slow pull? Ken Sweet

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Favorite MIG wire?
    By Kennyd in forum Metalworking & Fabrication
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-02-2018, 07:56 PM
  2. Favorite Tools
    By RandyM in forum Tools & Equipment
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-15-2016, 07:01 AM
  3. Favorite Tools Sites
    By RandyM in forum Tools & Equipment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-17-2016, 02:24 PM
  4. Favorite Engine?
    By OneMarineE5 in forum Lawn & Garden Tractors
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 12:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •