• 2 Post By BigJim55
  • 2 Post By DRobinson

Thread: Electronic power steering

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-20-2018 @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks

Electronic power steering

I was at a tractor show recently and had a gentleman mention that he’s heard that people are using electronic power steering components out of newer salvaged vehicles and installing them in two cylinder John Deere tractors. He didn’t have much information but I’m wondering if any of you know about it?
    BigJim55 and Old Cajun like this.
    Jim

1954 John Deere 50, 1958 John Deere 620, JD #8 Sickle Mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-...steering&rt=nc

This will give you a good idea of what is required and the certain cars that you can use the electric power steering out of. I did not get my controller from this place but I can’t find the guy who I did which was in Singapore so while it has worked fantastic I am sure these do too. I put this in my HPX a few years ago but there is a lot of parts and brackets to make but I suppose there is if you do Hydraulic as well. Of course a year or two after I did this somebody made a kit for it. It is about a grand and I probably spent 3 to 400 but in doing it again I would seriously consider buying a kit.

Make sure you get the input shaft and output shaft with the U joints with the electric power steering pump. The u- joints are made to go very sharp And this is helpful because you’re adding it to something that was not designed for it. You also need them to adapt to the input and output splines on the pump(motor).
    Last edited by Herminator; 07-22-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 950 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmott5215 View Post
    I was at a tractor show recently and had a gentleman mention that heís heard that people are using electronic power steering components out of newer salvaged vehicles and installing them in two cylinder John Deere tractors. He didnít have much information but Iím wondering if any of you know about it?
    That's a subject I been thinking about on and off for my old IH 274 with the worm gear steering.

Power steering would sure be nice when moving at a slow speed in tight spots.

Was considering the possibility of using the electric steering on the newer outboard motors, hadn't considered automotive electric steering.
    mjncad, DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks
    I had the opportunity to run a Tier 1 EPS factory for awhile. For one OEM the system was belt driven and the other was gear driven.

In both the most sophisticated part is the input sensor process. The pinion was machined in two pieces with a torque rod in between them. They also overlapped so a set of senor rings can detect the amount of force you are applying the wheel. Dual pc processing cores then calculate and cross check that input and calculate the amount of force for the motor to apply. If the CPUs donít agree you end up with red light on your dash and limp mode.

The steering computer also networked with the chassis control module. I have no clue if it would run without a dummy interface to the chassis.
    mjncad, BigJim55 and Old Cajun like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60Ē Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 02:11 PM
    Thanks
    One of my Garden tractors has electronic Power steering On it. Though it's More Of a Hybrid Because it still uses some of the Manual steering components It actually the OEM spec On it to use electronic Power steering. But the would be Interesting to adapt something Like that to the Old Poppers with Manual steer
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:59 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Green magazine just had a two part article in the last two issues about this. Apparently it works really well. Guy mounted it on what looks to be a Farmall A to test it out. Said it gave him fingertip steering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 Times in 1,068 Posts
    while gator shopping the last yr or so, in a few adds, i seen that they mentioned this type of power steering, before that i had never even heard of it is it a proven idea?? like i guess is it better than what's on my pickup-with a belt and pump design?

J3Driver-i should of looked closer at that write up in my Green Magazine i just thought it was another power steering pump added, like others had done before. now i'm going back to relook and read it closer-thanks
    Old Cajun and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    That's a subject I been thinking about on and off for my old IH 274 with the worm gear steering.

Power steering would sure be nice when moving at a slow speed in tight spots.

Was considering the possibility of Really looking hard at a new 4066R to backup the old IH 274 down the road, gathering info
    Fixed it for you, OC.
    BigJim55 and Old Cajun like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements