Green Tractor Talk banner

Electronic power steering

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  DRobinson 
#1 ·
I was at a tractor show recently and had a gentleman mention that he’s heard that people are using electronic power steering components out of newer salvaged vehicles and installing them in two cylinder John Deere tractors. He didn’t have much information but I’m wondering if any of you know about it?

#2 · (Edited)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue..._nkw=saturn+vue+electric+power+steering&rt=nc

This will give you a good idea of what is required and the certain cars that you can use the electric power steering out of. I did not get my controller from this place but I can’t find the guy who I did which was in Singapore so while it has worked fantastic I am sure these do too. I put this in my HPX a few years ago but there is a lot of parts and brackets to make but I suppose there is if you do Hydraulic as well. Of course a year or two after I did this somebody made a kit for it. It is about a grand and I probably spent 3 to 400 but in doing it again I would seriously consider buying a kit.

Make sure you get the input shaft and output shaft with the U joints with the electric power steering pump. The u- joints are made to go very sharp And this is helpful because you’re adding it to something that was not designed for it. You also need them to adapt to the input and output splines on the pump(motor).

#3 ·
That's a subject I been thinking about on and off for my old IH 274 with the worm gear steering.

Power steering would sure be nice when moving at a slow speed in tight spots. :good2:

Was considering the possibility of using the electric steering on the newer outboard motors, hadn't considered automotive electric steering.

#8 ·
That's a subject I been thinking about on and off for my old IH 274 with the worm gear steering.

Power steering would sure be nice when moving at a slow speed in tight spots. :good2:

Was considering the possibility of Really looking hard at a new 4066R to backup the old IH 274 down the road, gathering info
Fixed it for you, OC.

#4 ·
I had the opportunity to run a Tier 1 EPS factory for awhile. For one OEM the system was belt driven and the other was gear driven.

In both the most sophisticated part is the input sensor process. The pinion was machined in two pieces with a torque rod in between them. They also overlapped so a set of senor rings can detect the amount of force you are applying the wheel. Dual pc processing cores then calculate and cross check that input and calculate the amount of force for the motor to apply. If the CPUs don’t agree you end up with red light on your dash and limp mode.

The steering computer also networked with the chassis control module. I have no clue if it would run without a dummy interface to the chassis.

#5 ·
One of my Garden tractors has electronic Power steering On it. Though it's More Of a Hybrid Because it still uses some of the Manual steering components It actually the OEM spec On it to use electronic Power steering. But the would be Interesting to adapt something Like that to the Old Poppers with Manual steer:bigthumb:

#6 ·
Green magazine just had a two part article in the last two issues about this. Apparently it works really well. Guy mounted it on what looks to be a Farmall A to test it out. Said it gave him fingertip steering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#7 ·
:unknown:while gator shopping the last yr or so, in a few adds, i seen that they mentioned this type of power steering, before that i had never even heard of it:dunno: is it a proven idea?? like i guess is it better than what's on my pickup-with a belt and pump design?

J3Driver-i should of looked closer at that write up in my Green Magazine:hide: i just thought it was another power steering pump added, like others had done before. now i'm going back to relook and read it closer-thanks:good2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.