Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: John Deere model H

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Thanks

John Deere model H

I've been considering getting an old Deere to tinker with, but I'm not sure where to start.

For example, this model H caught my eye, but I don't know what to watch out for when buying something like this.

Any tips would be appreciated.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/gr...672974326.html
    2019 2038R, dual rear vavles, power beyond, 220R loader, 57" HD bucket, iMatch, R3+ tires, JD premium LED light kit, wheel spacers, Artillian diverter, EA wicked root grapple, Heavy Hitch "flexible ballast" and bolt on toothbar, Ken's extended iMatch hook and loader grip, Titan forks, Woods BB60X rotary cutter, CRI stump bucket, Fit Rite hydraulics top link.

1940 John Deere H with PTO, hand start.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinHEMI For This Useful Post:

44JohnDeereBR†(01-10-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,256 Times in 2,562 Posts
    That is a nice tractor. Judging by the plaque on the side, this is a man who cherishes this machine or is a family who recently lost the owner of it. I'd be willing to bet it's in relatively good shape due to that. I'd go and try it out. Run it around and operate everything. Check the fluids. Smell the gas, is it fresh? This will tell you a lot about the machine. Was it just cleaned or is it "honest" showing recent oil and dirt? I prefer to see a machine that's honestly dirty. It won't hide a oil leak or actual use. When a machine is painted or cleaned super well, it can hide several issues and can be a red flag for me.

From the looks of it, I'd say they are a bit strong on the price, but only just so. It could be just fine. If everything is top notch, it's a fair price IMHO. Around here a machine like that would bring similar dollars in great shape with good/newer tires.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

JustinHEMI†(08-19-2018)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 02:11 PM
    Thanks
    I am always on the look out for a M, 40, L or LA as they won't Take Up Much Room other wise I Might get shot and Buried In the Back Yard By my signification other. Should have never taught her how to shoot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M.jpg 40.JPG L.jpg LA.jpg
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant For This Useful Post:

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:38 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Welcome to the club.

Iíve seen that h and think it might be a bit high on the price.

They are neat little tractors. Iím looking for one as well. But my wife and my ideas are different at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Thanks
    SGT, sell the backhoe and make it a challenge for her. It might better your odds.

That's a nice looking H. I'm with DS. A little tough on the price. I suppose they may have started a little high. Hard for them to go up in price when negotiating a deal.
    grnspot110 likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 02:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    SGT, sell the backhoe and make it a challenge for her. It might better your odds.

That's a nice looking H. I'm with DS. A little tough on the price. I suppose they may have started a little high. Hard for them to go up in price when negotiating a deal.
    Problem is she would just Barrow the Neighbors Backhoe for the Burying Part
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant For This Useful Post:

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:58 PM
    Thanks
    I was cruising craigslist the other evening and saw this '46 H and it reinforces what DS said about the good rubber and maybe a bit strong on price.

I have a new appreciation about this size tractor (weight), after dragging the 60 (2,000 lb heavier) to a couple of different events, if that's your thing. Rides and shows are pretty popular here in the Midwest, it seems like there's something going on every weekend if you look. This size would make transporting much easier.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:38 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Thats me thing I like about my sons cub. Itís easy to take places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    DRobinson likes this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    I was cruising craigslist the other evening and saw this '46 H and it reinforces what DS said about the good rubber and maybe a bit strong on price.

I have a new appreciation about this size tractor (weight), after dragging the 60 (2,000 lb heavier) to a couple of different events, if that's your thing. Rides and shows are pretty popular here in the Midwest, it seems like there's something going on every weekend if you look. This size would make transporting much easier.
    That's what attracted me to the H, seems to be the "compact" of its day. Easier to store too.

I did reach out to the owner of the one I posted, I'm going to try to set something up for next week, but his schedule is difficult. He is retired by apparently has medical issues and many appointments. Probably the reason for the sale. I get the impression that this tractor is his baby.

He may be strong on the price, but I also don't want to offend him. It's hard to overcome someone's sentimental attachment.
    Last edited by JustinHEMI; 08-20-2018 at 09:33 PM.
    44JohnDeereBR, BigJim55 and 56Nine like this.
    2019 2038R, dual rear vavles, power beyond, 220R loader, 57" HD bucket, iMatch, R3+ tires, JD premium LED light kit, wheel spacers, Artillian diverter, EA wicked root grapple, Heavy Hitch "flexible ballast" and bolt on toothbar, Ken's extended iMatch hook and loader grip, Titan forks, Woods BB60X rotary cutter, CRI stump bucket, Fit Rite hydraulics top link.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinHEMI For This Useful Post:

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    There's a guy on the Michigan thumb with one for 2k. He sent me a video of it running, sounds good. That's a long drive though if something ain't right. But for 2k, might be worth the road trip, about 5.5 hours.

It's isn't as polished or parade ready as the one in OP, which is OK with me. I'm not looking for a show piece. Just something to tinker with and putt around on.

44JohnDeereBR and BigJim55 like this.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinHEMI For This Useful Post:

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast