Green Tractor Talk banner

John Deere BR Value

19K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Trebor 
#1 ·
So my uncle has this John Deere BR that I always remember it being in some stage of restoration in most of my younger years. It is in show condition and runs good. Has electric start, no 3pt and believe has been converted to 12v. One rear fender has a small crinkle but I'd say it's a solid 8.5/10 overall machine. I'm interested in this since it has an emotional pull on me BUT I have no idea what the value of it is. I should note I'm not looking to steal it from him.

Any questions I can answer to assist, let me know and I will do my best.

My question is what's the going rate for a show ready BR?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#10 ·
:nunu:yeah-i wantta see what a BR-and a BO-looks likes:dunno::laugh: come-on-please.....................:munch:

#13 ·
I need to talk with my cousin about his BO. Last time we talked he said something about he should sell it to me. His needs a lot of work including a crankshaft replacement. I'm not sure what kinda $$$$ he wants for it.

#15 ·
#17 ·
I'm new to the forum so a little late to this thread. We own a BO and a BR. Bought them from a collector friend. (Pictures below) He is 87 and liquidating his collection. I'm pretty sure there are 2 BOs and a BI still available. If you are interested I can get pictures and prices on the tractors.

Attachments

#18 ·
Looks like you have a nice collection of tractors. :bigthumb:

#19 ·
Southwest Michigan is known as the fruit belt so the area had lots of BOs. When the 40 was introduced with the 3 pt hitch most of the farmers traded in their BOs. It was rumored that one dealer took 2 semi loads of BOs to the scrap yard.
My friend at one time had 160 tractors in his collection. He's now down to 60. I've attached photos of the remaining BOs in the collection. All are for sale. Sorry, I couldn't get 3 to rotate.

Attachments

#20 ·
I feel the need to update this thread... my uncle Howard passed away a few days ago. No idea what's going on with his stuff, I feel like an ass bringing it up, therefore I will not bring it up to his son. Howard was awesome, always tinkering in his shop, patient with any question I ever had. I truly credit him with my interest in machining/Tool and Die...

Miss ya Howard...

Remembering Howard D. Swan | Pawlak Funeral Home

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Thanks,

Didn't expect you to actually see the question but thought I'd try haha

I'm not a buyer, mainly research (wish I could afford it LOL) I was wondering if your friend still has the BI, and even if he doesn't, if I could have any info about it, especially the serial number, and any more pictures. There were 181 made and I've found 60 of them, always looking for more and whatever info I can find on each one.

If you want to keep things private you can email me, or you can post here.
my email is moparwhs@hotmail.com

Thank you

#30 ·
Been a while since I've been on GTT. My uncle's auction was yesterday, I bid up to $4k on his BR, it sold for $4,500 to an older gentleman "3 hours away in Michigan". I simply didn't have the money... There were 3 bidders total. Once I stopped, the other 2 kept going. The winner never hesitated on any of his bids, he wasn't leaving without it. New owner seemed ecstatic to have won it. I gave him my cell should he ever decide to sell it, but I doubt he kept it...

1944 John Deere BR Serial Number 334947 sold for $4,500 on 9/12/2020

Tractor Agricultural machinery Vehicle Compactor Grass
Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Car
Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Car

#31 ·
there was a B something ..(iirc).. on Machinery Pete yesterday that sold for 14K+

Keep in mind this was an "experimental" Model....I guess this is noted in the Serial # from what they said.

Cast iron trans cover....Bigger Flywheel......were some of the differences.....Un restored.....Kinda rough looking.

#32 ·
Good looking BR, sad to hear you couldn't get her. Would have been great to keep it in the family.
I tried to get my grand dads 730 diesel when we had the sale but my uncle out bid me. And my dad tried to get the 294 hour 4455 powershift but was out bid by a serious collector. The same uncle that bought the 730 tried to get the 49? hour 4555 mfwd also but was out bid by another serious collector. Grandpa bought them both brand new a year apart then had a major heart attack and quit farming. Both had duals and the 4455 2wd had a deere dozer blade with hyd swivel that he pushed snow with.

#35 ·
I always wondered why this BO was on a ranch west of Cleburne. It was originally was purchased by county agent named Emmitt Brown & if I knew the reason I can't remember although there were a few local fruit tree orchards. Mr Brown had passed & another person owned the ranch called Rainbow Ranch. While employed at JD dealer I took this BO in trade on a JD 2020 tractor. The BO engine was stuck & paint was faded. At that point this JD dealership remained open on Saturday afternoon & employees took turns operating the "parts dept". So on Saturday afternoons when not busy at the parts counter I was in shop toying with this BO. I removed spark plugs & filled cylinders with diesel fuel. I let it set for a few weeks the put tool designed to turn crankshaft to repair engine & I got crankshaft to turn. I removed valve cover adjusted valves, installed sparkplugs,6 volt battery & gasoline. After a few attempts it started running. After that my boss decided to have it painted by his regular paint employee. Then my boss was going to put it up for sale. He made me a special price & the rest is history. Although it's still here one of my grand daughters asked me if she could have the BO so I gave it to her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.