• 3 Post By Evergreen
  • 1 Post By Evergreen

Thread: Model M cab/weather enclosure

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Model M cab/weather enclosure

I know there are companies that make weather enclosures for the larger two-cylinder tractors but I've never seen one for an M. Do any of you know of one? What about adapting one from a small Farmall or Ford?

Right now I have a piece of heavy canvas stretched across the grille and down the carb side of the tractor so that the fan blows hot air from the radiator back towards me. It keeps the tractor warmer but doesn't do much for me. I spend about an hour outside each time I plow my driveway and it would be nice to at least get partially out of the wind. The M can be hard enough to get on and off in the summer... wearing a snow suit doesn't make it easier.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I just bought a pup tent and some old fishing poles. When it warms up I'm going to try my hand at building some sort of Heat Houser like device. Hopefully I remember enough 8th grade home ec to get my sewing machine threaded!
    ColonyPark, farmgirl19 and AllenR like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    I'm sorry I can't be much help but I'm in the same predicament with my 2510. They are called several different things like Heat Houser, Weather brake, and comfort cover. The 2 most popular ones are Femco and Burch Mfg. I had a Femco first only to find out they are no longer made in canvas but vinyl. It ripped out in a couple years. I bought a Burch Heat Houser last year. It is canvas but the frame wouldn't even come close to fitting my tractor but they wanted something like 25% restocking fee if I remember right. I was going to see if I could use the frame of one and canvas of another but the winter here didn't get cold enough to even try. I believe the M was replaced by the 40. I didn't find one for a 40 but did find one for a 50 that would most likely fit. Most of them are the same with slight differences in the frame. Your tractor should be easier since it is a rear entry and has no moving parts. Mine needs to be a side entry with a door built in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes, the M was the predecessor of the 40 series tractors. I guess I never thought about using one from a B/50/520/530. They should only be a little bit longer than an M. The extra length and width would be easy enough to take in provided I could find one in canvas. Sewing vinyl is a bit too much like . I worked at a boat shop for a few years and sewing vinyl was the job I hated the most.

Right now my plan is to fit the canvas to the tractor, rivet in grommets to tie it down, and sew in pockets for the old fishing poles in order to give it some rigidity. Sort of like a tent. I haven't made any progress because it is still a little to cold to work outside without gloves on. Most of the snow in the open areas is gone but there are still a few big drifts and piles that remain.
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements