1952 Model B-fan/fan belt
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By dieselshadow
  • 2 Post By tommyhawk
  • 1 Post By csprngman1
  • 1 Post By csprngman1
  • 2 Post By tommyhawk

Thread: 1952 Model B-fan/fan belt

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 12:44 PM
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    1952 Model B-fan/fan belt

    Hello all,

    Trying to change the fan belt on a '52 model B. Anyone know if I need to remove the fan to do it? If not, suggestions? Also, looking to possibly remove the fan anyway in the near future and could use some guidance there as I understand it can be a little trick with the spring portion.

    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:02 AM
    Location
    Joelton TN
    Posts
    19,658
    Thanks
    1,063
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    Ive just worked the belt over the fan one blade at a time. Have you tried that?
    DRobinson, tommyhawk and JD4044M like this.
    - Jason

    GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

    Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

    2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

    csprngman1(02-22-2019)

  5. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked 86 Times in 70 Posts
    I agree, you should be able to slip the belt over the fan, one blade at a time. Try to find a spot where the shroud gives you a little room to start, then go over another blade, and so forth. With the front grill, hood, and fan shroud in place, it does look more difficult than it really is.
    I'm not even sure if the fan can be removed with the fan shaft still on the tractor. There are a lot of pieces that must come off to remove the fan shaft assembly for sure! If you suspect the fan or internal parts of the shaft assembly need repair or replacement, yeah, you will need to dig in. It is a very time consuming job, so be sure you are ready for it.

    This photo is a '50 model B, just after the belt was installed. Did not have the hood on at this point. Every thing on it needed repaired or replaced, so I still remember the most challenging parts. The fan shaft assembly was one of the most difficult parts for me.

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Genny rear.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	673534

    This one is the home made tools to compress the spring to remove the split keepers in the shaft end. Shaft was held in a bench vise. I don't really recall what the 3-jaw puller was doing, but it was helping somehow! JD probably had some better tools for this?

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Fan 4.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	673536

    tommyhawk
    dieselshadow and JD4044M like this.

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 12:44 PM
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Ive just worked the belt over the fan one blade at a time. Have you tried that?
    no, but will. Thank you
    JD4044M likes this.

  8. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 12:44 PM
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyhawk View Post
    I agree, you should be able to slip the belt over the fan, one blade at a time. Try to find a spot where the shroud gives you a little room to start, then go over another blade, and so forth. With the front grill, hood, and fan shroud in place, it does look more difficult than it really is.
    I'm not even sure if the fan can be removed with the fan shaft still on the tractor. There are a lot of pieces that must come off to remove the fan shaft assembly for sure! If you suspect the fan or internal parts of the shaft assembly need repair or replacement, yeah, you will need to dig in. It is a very time consuming job, so be sure you are ready for it.

    This photo is a '50 model B, just after the belt was installed. Did not have the hood on at this point. Every thing on it needed repaired or replaced, so I still remember the most challenging parts. The fan shaft assembly was one of the most difficult parts for me.

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Genny rear.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	673534

    This one is the home made tools to compress the spring to remove the split keepers in the shaft end. Shaft was held in a bench vise. I don't really recall what the 3-jaw puller was doing, but it was helping somehow! JD probably had some better tools for this?

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Fan 4.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	673536

    tommyhawk
    Thanks..........noticing your generator-can't tell from the angle but is it painted all black with the end caps gray? And is that the original color. Mine came all painted green, but I would like to return it to original.
    JD4044M likes this.

  9. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked 86 Times in 70 Posts
    The generator shown was painted by the rebuilder at the gen/starter shop. Think his wife painted it, silver bearing plates, and gold end cap. I thought it looked cool, not too over the top, so we just let it go at that. We did a lot of extra things to make this tractor close to original, but there are some "custom" features like this. I'm not a purist on such things, but respect those who can make everything look the way it came from the factory. The original owner drilled a small hole in the frame for some reason, and brazed a hole in the rocker arm cover (how did he punch a hole in that???). We left a few things like that "as is". just because ol' Joe did it. The alternator and car type muffler had to go away though!

    On an older "Two-Cylinder" forum, there was a lot of debate as to the JD color of the generators on the A-B era. Most arrived at the dealer with the gen. painted green, along with green overspray on the hoses, regulator, muffler, some of the wiring, and fan belt. Replacement rebuilt or new generators were black right out of the box. That would fuel the controversy, no doubt as to what was original. Possibly by 1952 the generator got installed after the tractor came out of the paint shop, and remained black as Delco had built it. I don't know for sure.
    Unless it's an Expo quality tractor, do it to suit yourself. Enjoy your B!

    tommyhawk

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Left wheel off.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	673554
    johnH123 and JD4044M like this.

  10. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 12:44 PM
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyhawk View Post
    The generator shown was painted by the rebuilder at the gen/starter shop. Think his wife painted it, silver bearing plates, and gold end cap. I thought it looked cool, not too over the top, so we just let it go at that. We did a lot of extra things to make this tractor close to original, but there are some "custom" features like this. I'm not a purist on such things, but respect those who can make everything look the way it came from the factory. The original owner drilled a small hole in the frame for some reason, and brazed a hole in the rocker arm cover (how did he punch a hole in that???). We left a few things like that "as is". just because ol' Joe did it. The alternator and car type muffler had to go away though!

    On an older "Two-Cylinder" forum, there was a lot of debate as to the JD color of the generators on the A-B era. Most arrived at the dealer with the gen. painted green, along with green overspray on the hoses, regulator, muffler, some of the wiring, and fan belt. Replacement rebuilt or new generators were black right out of the box. That would fuel the controversy, no doubt as to what was original. Possibly by 1952 the generator got installed after the tractor came out of the paint shop, and remained black as Delco had built it. I don't know for sure.
    Unless it's an Expo quality tractor, do it to suit yourself. Enjoy your B!

    tommyhawk

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Left wheel off.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	673554
    Thanks THawk. Think your right.....will prob just paint it something that looks good.

  11. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Online
    07-31-2019 @ 07:32 PM
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    To take the fan off you’ll have the take the entire fan shaft assembly off, then you'll need some clamps to compress the spring it has retainers like used on a valve spring that holds it together.

  12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. 1952 Model B wiring question
    By csprngman1 in forum Johnny Poppers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-17-2018, 07:10 PM
  2. 1952 John Deere A crank swap
    By Cjet69 in forum Johnny Poppers
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-23-2018, 12:45 PM
  3. 1952 John Deere MC
    By ctrider in forum Johnny Poppers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2017, 08:34 AM
  4. 1952 jd 60, Iowa
    By johnH123 in forum For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2015, 08:39 AM
  5. 1952 b
    By rlaurent in forum Johnny Poppers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 06:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts