Does anyone else still legitimately use their Johnny Popper?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: Does anyone else still legitimately use their Johnny Popper?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Does anyone else still legitimately use their Johnny Popper?

Nothing against parade queens because it is nice to see old machines that have been restored to new condition. I'm just curious if anyone else still uses their 2-cylinder as a working tractor?

My Model M turns 65 years old later this year. It was used to push snow all winter and will be used to mow the lawn all summer plus two cuttings, rakings, and balings on a 20 acre meadow. I've only owned her for three years but before the M, my field work was done with a '52 Model G. The G was great for plowing and for land clearing but it was thirsty and over powered the rest of the time. I do miss the view from the seat of that G though!
    With the switch to 12volt electrics and an electronic ignition, I'd have to say my M is as reliable as any modern tractor. I'd gladly pit it against any newer 20hp machine in any test except an emissions test or an OSHA test! The only thing I wish it had was a gas gauge.

So who else has an old machine that works to earn its spot in the shed?
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks

I wish I could fit the old "B" I cut my teeth on, between the rows.

The old Iron was perfect. Nothing that wasn't needed, everything that was.

You know of course, that this thread is pointless without Pics right?:D
    BigJim55 and UnionSchnauzer like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Thanks
    I bought my 40S last fall to restore, something I'd wanted for 50 years! Also bought it with the intention of pushing snow with it. Expected to use the 80 blade I've had for 30 years for the first winter, then find a usable front blade. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM3273.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	372.6 KB 
ID:	42995 Found a blade a few days after getting the 40: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1389.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	42996

As it turned out we only had a couple snows that required blading this winter, the first being 6" of wet, heavy stuff. The little 40 earned it's keep well: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1489.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	548.7 KB 
ID:	42997 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1488.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	953.5 KB 
ID:	42998
    Last edited by grnspot110; 04-01-2015 at 11:13 AM.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grnspot110 For This Useful Post:

RandyM (04-15-2015), tommyhawk (04-01-2015)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Thanks
    Wish I could say yes, but the old B mostly just rests in the garage. We only have 1 1/2 acres to play on.
    It did a great job last year extracting a 30 foot log from a fallen tree that had fallen from the neighbor's property, across a stream bed onto our side of the fence. That had occurred during the winter and they were concerned about it being in my way. We cut up the limbs and such from the top and I said just let the rest go until the ground was dry again and I'd get the rest of the log out so they could safely cut it up for fire wood. The B didn't even grunt and easily controlled the log as it came across the stream bed. pulled it to a spot in my yard where they could get a pickup in to load the cut wood.
    The year before, it made quick work of removing some boxwoods and a couple other shrubs my wife wanted removed. She was impressed. She remembered all the digging, chopping, and sweat we endured doing the same thing several years before with the shrubbery these had replaced. The handy garden tractors I have are no match for rooted things without the added labor!
    This is a shot of the B waiting to be loaded to go to it's first show. Took 4 years for my son and me to redo it. You fellas already know about the time and $$$$.$$, right? LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ready to load 1.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	43005

tommyhawk

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I have no pictures of my machines at work because I am always too busy working !

Here is my M and snowplow after a couple of my students spent fall semester cleaning it up. That was a few years ago. At first I was worried it would be a bit too small for my little hay operation but the small are often mighty and this is a tough little machine. The only two things I wish it had were a gas gauge (it's a long walk back to the barn for a gas can) and remote hydraulics (only because it limits my implement choices).

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	43006

Here is my '52 all-fuel G. Ugly but tough. Pulled it out of a fencerow in the morning, monkeyed with it for a while, got it running, and drove it home in time for dinner. Other than lots of grease, oil, and fuel, I put not one single cent into the maitence of that machine for three hard years. There are times I wish I hadn't sold it, but it went to a guy who restored it. I saw it at a show last year and it looked brand new.

Views:	71 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	43008

And finally, green but not a Deere; my F150 which has logged over half a million miles!
    Btw, those are original and non-rebuilt miles. The only major repair work has been to the rear axle and cab floor.

Views:	71 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	43009
    Any machine that tough and reliable deserves to be lumped in with a pair of still working Letter Series tractors! Besides, even though it's a 6 cylinder, it shares the same 4" bore/4" stroke as the M.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evergreen For This Useful Post:

RandyM (04-15-2015), tommyhawk (04-01-2015)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyhawk View Post
    Wish I could say yes, but the old B mostly just rests in the garage. We only have 1 1/2 acres to play on.
    It did a great job last year extracting a 30 foot log from a fallen tree that had fallen from the neighbor's property, across a stream bed onto our side of the fence. That had occurred during the winter and they were concerned about it being in my way. We cut up the limbs and such from the top and I said just let the rest go until the ground was dry again and I'd get the rest of the log out so they could safely cut it up for fire wood. The B didn't even grunt and easily controlled the log as it came across the stream bed. pulled it to a spot in my yard where they could get a pickup in to load the cut wood.
    The year before, it made quick work of removing some boxwoods and a couple other shrubs my wife wanted removed. She was impressed. She remembered all the digging, chopping, and sweat we endured doing the same thing several years before with the shrubbery these had replaced. The handy garden tractors I have are no match for rooted things without the added labor!
    This is a shot of the B waiting to be loaded to go to it's first show. Took 4 years for my son and me to redo it. You fellas already know about the time and $$$$.$$, right? LOL

Name:	ready to load 1.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	43005

tommyhawk
    Nice B. I also like the original muffler. I am not a fan of chrome straight pipes. They need to look like the day they were born.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks, DR. We wanted it back to original too, except for a couple "owner modifications" made by the gentleman who bought it new in 1950. Just a couple! He was pretty rough on it. It sat about 25 years before we got it. It would be easier to describe what we didn't have to repair or replace. LOL
    The tractor goes in the door shown in the photo. That muffler rubs the rubber weather seal on the door trim. Kinda like building a boat in your basement! Didn't have to let air out of front tires after all.
    I grew up farming with Dad's '49 B. This one is nearly the same.

tommyhawk
    DRobinson, ColonyPark and BigJim55 like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tommyhawk For This Useful Post:

Ole56 (04-23-2017)

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 978 Posts
    I have pics somewhere but can't place them, of the M still in use at my wife's uncles. This place is the family farm, about 50 acres. No farming is done any more but lots of veggie gardening and the fields are still kept mowed. The M shares chores with a Kioti DK. The M pulls a cart and a 5' pull behind bush hog, it's a '47 I believe and it's been in the family since the 60's. Good original condition and still working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 03:24 PM
    Thanks
    I use my 1944 B JD with 45 loader on it some. The rest of the family uses a 4020 with a loader so they don't need to use the two cylinders. Brother uses his more as a play toy. But I haul wood from where it is stored outside to the garage with it as well as skidded a few trees out this past winder. Moved my one snowmobile now that I finished working on it to the other shed with it. Unloaded some L&G stuff from a trailer with it. Took my cab on and off with it on the L&G tractor. Moved some ice buildup with it. That is only since November when we brought it back to life after a decade. I restored when I was 10 and now am 30. Used at shows and plow days back then. Then lift happened and the mag stopped working and carb was rusted up inside. Redid those and did an oil change and good to go. Had to rebuild the cylinders on the loader as they rusted (stupid us for not at least greasing). Replaced the hoses as well. Still have a leak out of the hyd pump on the B. Not the control valve-just the pump. But that requires draining both the hyd oil and tranny oil. This summers project.
    BigJim55 and Evergreen like this.
    "Travis" on WFM
    First year 332 with H3 added X 2, JD 3 pt, JD factory delux seat with flip pan. 430 rear diff. 430 fender deck(have two that are mirror copies of themselves). 420, two more 332's.
    Attachments:JD 44 loader, JD 50 inch mowing deck, JD 48 replacement mowing deck JD 47 two stage snow blower, JD Hyd 42 Tiller, Gannon Earthcavator 42 inch 3 point mount, Cozy cab, JD 20 plow, Brinly 12 inch plow.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I think the ground is finally solid enough to drive my M out of the barn! Maybe tonight I'll finally be able to grade the winter pot-holes out of the driveway.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast