1951 G no spark - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 1951 G no spark

1. Top | #21

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Thanks
    The internal resistor coil changes with the time period it has power to it. Kind of like an electric choke coil. It reduces the input voltage in the first few minutes power is to it. They make for easy conversions.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave C For This Useful Post:

JDg1951(07-14-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #22
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    JDg, Not knowing anything about a "G" and a little about wiring in general, I've got mostly questions!

But first, if you plan on bypassing the existing ballast/external resistor, you DON'T WANT an internal resistance coil. Most coils operate at 7-9vdc. Your battery is 12 so it goes to an external resistor that drops the voltage to that 7-9vdc and it then goes to the coil windings. A coil with an internal resistor is supplied right from the battery with 12vdc. The internal resistor then drops the voltage to 7-9vdc and supplies it to the windings. With an internal resistor coil, no matter how it's wired, the coil windings get 7-9vdc.

Now, pedal operated starter switch: Is there an actual switch that the pedal operates? If so, I would think it has 2 terminals on it, one the the battery and one to the starter motor. If this in fact the case, a wire from the starter motor terminal (either on the switch or the starter motor) to the coil would supply 12vdc to the coil while the starter is turning. Once the pedal is released, the 12vdc stops and the normal ignition wiring through the existing external resistor takes over. If no physical switch, I've no idea! Bob
    i'm sure his G is the same as my model 50 starter. it has a rod that runs down thru the flywheel housing to the starter-which then pushes on the bendix to fire the starter over. no wire there on the rod. just off the bendix.
    JD4044M likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

5. Top | #23

Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks

It's Alive!!

thanks for all the help.

2 things I changed and she started up.

1- switch the battery cables. Pos solenoid, Neg ground

2- Set the points gap to .025 on the right cylinder compression stroke

Thanks again

On to the next thread. Load and idle needle adjustment on the DLTX carb

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #24
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Thanks
    FIRST, take some fine grit sand paper and run it across the points and contacts inside distributer cap, getting any carbon off. Then check for spark.. It only takes a swipe or two with the sandpaper.
    Last edited by 1010; 07-14-2019 at 04:19 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 1010 For This Useful Post:

JDg1951(07-14-2019)

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3