Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Starting Problems

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-07-2015 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks

Question Starting Problems

Hey There,

I have a 1949 JD Model A that I have been restoring. I took it apart this winter so I could repaint it (only the gas tank and grill). Now, almost six months later, I put it back together and for some reason I cant get it to start. The starter motor is getting electricity. The carburetor is getting fuel. So my next problem area would be the spark plugs. I took both of them out and cleaned them and still have the same problem. Can anybody think of anything else?

When it turns over there is white mist that comes out of the pipe. Not sure if that is gas fumes or if it is moister evaporating from the chambers. Its been in a garage, so I don't know why there would be water in it. But its worth throwing it out there.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Thanks
    First thing I'd do is pull both plugs and with wires attached, get a good ground to the base of the plugs. Keep the plugs away from the gas that might come out the plug holes while cranking. Get a helper if necessary to stomp the pedal while you check for a good, hot spark each side. If no spark, pull the cap from the mag or distributor and check for moisture. File or clean points to make sure there is no corrosion on them. Check for corrosion where the wires plug into the cap. Try again. If no luck, replace the points and condenser.
    If you already know you have spark, pull both plugs again and crank it over a few times to get rid of excess gas as it might be flooded. There are probably petcocks on the bottom of the cylinders that you can open also. This is always a good idea after one has sat for a while. Installing a new set of plugs might be needed also.
    Oh yeah, check the crankcase oil in case gas has polluted it.
    Let us know!

tommyhawk
    dieselshadow likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I pulled the cap off the mag and it looked like there was no moister in there. However, the spark plugs aren't firing. Everything under the cap looks pretty good. I think it was replaced a couple years ago. I took the batter out as well, is there a chance a fuse could have popped without me knowing?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    do condensers blow out easily?
    Last edited by TGALX3; 04-12-2015 at 07:07 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Condensers are just capacitors. And yes, they can and will let go. Usually it's from over voltage, time, poor quality, or over-heating. Any combination of these can make them go even quicker.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well this would probably be a good time to mention that I was charging the battery when it was still hooked up to the tractor. So I'm thinking that a condenser blew from charging the battery and starting it from the charging unit. Not the smartest thing I have done.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Thanks
    Naw, I don't think you would hurt a condenser that way. Some questions though. Does it have a magneto or battery ignition distributor? Is it a 12V system or 6V? Is it still hooked up as Positive Ground? Does the tractor still use a generator or has an alternator been added? If it has a mag, does it have a kill switch or key switch to stop the engine?

There are other components for each that can prevent the spark from happening. I would still try a new set of points and condenser in the unit. A tune up is a good way to start. Some have reported getting condensers these days that are no good or fail sooner than expected. Buy from a reliable source. Some things made over seas are just junk.

tommyhawk

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyhawk View Post
    Naw, I don't think you would hurt a condenser that way. Some questions though. Does it have a magneto or battery ignition distributor? Is it a 12V system or 6V? Is it still hooked up as Positive Ground? Does the tractor still use a generator or has an alternator been added? If it has a mag, does it have a kill switch or key switch to stop the engine?

There are other components for each that can prevent the spark from happening. I would still try a new set of points and condenser in the unit. A tune up is a good way to start. Some have reported getting condensers these days that are no good or fail sooner than expected. Buy from a reliable source. Some things made over seas are just junk.

tommyhawk

Im pretty sure it is a distributor. Also pretty sure it is 12V. Yes, Positive Groumd. It doesnt have an alternator or generator. That will probably be the lasting thing I put on there.

11. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    No alternator or generator? Hi does it charge the battery?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I have a car battery charger that I use when I need to charge it. Just until I get a alternator put in.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast