• 1 Post By paderack
  • 2 Post By Superglidesport

Thread: johndeere 49 B out of storage

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-15-2016 @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks

johndeere 49 B out of storage

I have a John Deere B, 1949 I think . The tractor has set dormant under a shelter in the south for about 20 yrs. Now I want to get it back running. The radiator was drained yrs ago, and a cover was put over the exhaust. A few yrs back I was able to turn the fly wheel indicating the pistons have not locked up. I was going to flush the fuel tank, fill the radiator and change the oil and plugs. What else do you recommend I should do? The tires are flat, chords showing. Hoping with air the will stay inflated until I can get it moved. What should I do for tires?? Don't have a bunch of $$$. Also need a trailer, what do you suggest? Thanks for any suggestions/ advice, hope this is the right place to post.. paderack
    Evergreen likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Before you attempt to start the engine remove the spark plugs and pour an ounce of automatic transmission fluid or Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder. Let it sit for a couple of days to lubricate the pistons, rings and cylinder walls. Drain the oil from the engine, transmission and final drive and check for water and / or rust. Refill with the proper fluids. Remove the distributor cap and check for moisture. Spray some CRC 5-56 or all purpose lubricant into the distributor to lube the breaker plate. Apply some cam lobe lubricant and check the breaker contacts for corrosion. You might want to remove and burnish the contacts with a point file or fine emery cloth. Reinstall the breaker contacts and adjust the clearance on a cam lobe. Get it running to further assess the tractors condition before spending any more money on it. If it starts, runs, clutch releases, shifts and drives then invest in additional maintenance, repairs and rubber.

Last edited by Superglidesport; 04-15-2015 at 08:04 PM.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    First, I'd like to point out that this thread needs some pics!

Make sure you either get a straight deck trailer or measure to see if the back tires will clear the fenders of a car hauler. A late styled B should weigh a little less than 5000 pounds; about as much as a 1/2 ton truck. If the tires hold air you should be able to load it with a come-along and some sweat. If the tires are completely flat, find someone with another tractor and a push-bar to give the B a shove up the ramps. If you really get desperate you can cut away what is left of the tires and roll it up onto a trailer on the rims... not ideal but it technically works.

Be careful how you load it and where you park it on the trailer because these old row crops are heaviest in the rear end. Not like modern compact tractors which tend to have more even weight distribution. The last thing you want is to have 4 tons worth of trailer and tractor wagging your truck's tail going down the highway! You can also never have too many straps and/or chains holding it down. It is overkill but I usually have a minimum of 3 straps and 2 chains holding down my little M.

Another trick I use on equipment with bad tires is to load it and then let the rest of the air out of the tires before chaining it down. This way the tires won't deflate on their own and loosen the chains without you noticing.

Once you get it home it's just a matter of flushing, lubing, and TLC. These old tractors can be both fun and functional so long as you take your time and don't cut corners. Patience and hard work will pay off in the end. If you get stuck or have questions please post them here! We'll all try to help where we can.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements