Green Tractor Talk banner

49 A Clutch Disk Replacement

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JD322 
#1 ·
My son's in a bit of a bind. Take your tractor to school day is next Friday. He's having problems with his clutch on his 49 Model A. He was going to take care of it, but hasn't ordered parts. He's just not sure what he needs. I haven't done much with old tractors.

We don't have a shop manual, he'll be ordering one. JDparts shows 2 disks, I'm thinking he should replace the springs also. Any other parts we will need for sure?

Is there a faster place to get the parts than Steiner Tractor? NAPA or some place like that have the disks? It looks like most of the parts will pretty much fall out once the adjusting disk is unbolted. Does the driving disk require a puller? Anything else I should be aware of?

This looks like a pretty straight forward task, am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

#5 ·
The clutch pops out but not in. It's sluggish like the clutch isn't holding, he's loosing power but not RPMs. When the clutch lever is pushed in with a little force it begins to catch up but not fully.

#3 ·
Did you check the local JD dealer, Mike? They used to come in a box of 10. It has been a very long time, but I think the part number is C614R.

Any school that has a "Drive your tractor to school day" has to be a good one.

Reactions: eyeboltman and Levi
#4 ·
You NEED to replace the clutch dogs too. They are often overlooked but they help solve most of the issues. If you have a bead blasting cabinet you can clean up the disks that are in there. I don't think I have seen them worn out to be honest. The two things that almost always need done is the dogs (the 3 nuts you tighten up-inside those attach to what I am talking about). Then the disk itself that attaches to the crank on the splined shaft. If you tighten that up and it is still loose then cut some tin cans or aluminum cans to make some shims. About 1/2 our collection has those in it.

Lastly setting the clutch. With the clutch lever forward you need to evenly adjust the nuts on the clutch. I light a manual torque wrench gauge where you can see it change vs a clicker style on this. I forget the right torque but what really matters is that the clutch "pops" in and out when it is set right.

We have done a LOT of clutchs and even had them hold up to our high HP pulling G's (took machining and copper disks). But the rest-never had a problem doing what I just told you. FYI-did see one 60 that the flywheel was cracked and it messed with the clutch. It helps hold the thrust bearings so when you pop the clutch in and out it pulls the crank to one side. The flywheel on that was moving enough to mess with my head trying to get it fixed for someone else.

Reactions: Levi
#6 ·
Don wins the prize the JD Dealer up the road had the parts. C614R was the old number, I have the parts list, new # is R90215 for the disks $21.44 each.

Reactions: Levi and DRobinson
#7 ·
Reactions: eyeboltman
#8 ·
Well, we got her fixed today. The clutch disks looked like new. Found a broken spring. Guess I'll save those new parts for another time :bigthumb:

Thanks for the help.

#9 ·
Great job on the fix, glad it was seemingly simple.

Now comes the important question.....where are all the pics of bring your tractor to school day?:greentractorride:

Reactions: DRobinson
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.