• 2 Post By RandyM
  • 1 Post By BigJim55

Thread: JD Model 50 Won't Start

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-20-2017 @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks

JD Model 50 Won't Start

My Model 50 was starting just fine but the dual 6 volt batteries were old and in decline so I replaced them with a new set of 6 volts. Now when I step on the starter, nothing! The “L”, “B”, and “D” light switch positions all appear to work correctly with bright and dim lighting, so I’m getting juice off the new batteries. Has anyone run into a similar situation with these series tractors before or does anyone know what I may have done wrong and what I need to check?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    The problem with anything involving electricity is that unless you begin to test each component individually, problems can be hard to pin down.
    Assumption #1- the new batteries have enough juice in them to spin the motor. I have gotten bad new batteries that have enough juice to light a bulb but not enough to spin the starter.
    Assumption #2- the starter is healthy. Sometimes starters just stop working and although highly unlikely to coincide with your battery change, it is technically still possible.
    Assumption #3- all cables and their assorted connectors are good. Old, worn cables with dirty or loose ends do not have the same capacity to carry electricity as new cables and connection lugs.

Now, assuming the three aforementioned assumptions are correct, the next place I would look at is the ground connections.

Good luck!
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    Here is one for ya. Are you absolutely sure you have the pluses and minuses all connected properly? Reversing the polarity will cause goofy things to happen. Trust me, I know from experience.
    Last edited by RandyM; 06-22-2015 at 02:10 PM.
    grnspot110 and BigJim55 like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 1,103 Posts
    I have a model 50 too, if ur running 2 6volts sounds like u didn't hook them up in series to each other. I finally put the biggest 12 volt commercial in and haven't looked back yet, that was ----- I'm not gonna jinx myself or it will be dead when I go for it. does ur''s have a ground wire off the battery to the frame as a addition. don't forget is ur's positive ground, did u hook it up the other way. good luck, big jim
    DRobinson likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-20-2017 @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate all the advice which will give me some good areas to start checking. Take care all!

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements