• 1 Post By Superglidesport

Thread: jd 50 generator issues

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts

jd 50 generator issues

hello; as u all have seen I've been using the 50 to brush hog several times. I also had replaced the exhaust pipe this spring too. now my question-- the soot last summer from the hole in exhaust pipe had blowed up against and into the end of the generator, this morning I went out to start it and dead battery. so I took battery terminals off and cleaned them, first, got battery charger out, put it on for 30 mins. and tried cleaning some of that soot out and off the generator. after that I tried and tractor started right up. so I played for a couple of hrs. and my amp. gauge won't hardly climp off the center mark, even if I turn the lights on. if I touch the brushes with a screw driver I can get a spark, now is the soot messing with the armature , or could my regulator be going bad and not working when the lights are turned on. what type of spray fluid can I use on it, or should I just take it off and go to the starter shop and let them check it and clean it. it's not hard to take off. also this machine is positive ground! thanks, big jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:42 PM
    Thanks
    Spray the armature and brushes with contact cleaner, it should clean the soot off. You don't want anything on the armature or the brushes.
    BigJim55 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    Spray the armature and brushes with contact cleaner, it should clean the soot off. You don't want anything on the armature or the brushes.
    keefus, will try that, I had thought of using rubbing acahol , since it has no oil base in it. I suppose I need the armature and the brushes clean to make the regulator to work right. thanks, big jim

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 674 Posts
    I like to use this stuff.

CRC Electronic Cleaner
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    well this fancy spray stuff was a winning choice, my uncle had a can, so I borrowed it instead of making a trip to town for now, it is jd's version, I sprayed it all around and used my air gun to blow air into it to dry it up several times. left it set over night, tried it the next morning and when I opened the throttle up, the amp guage came up charging as well. so thanks for all u guy's replys and it's back to working again along with that 241.00 dollar new exhaust pipe from mother deere's archives of parts. b ig jim

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim 55 View Post
    well this fancy spray stuff was a winning choice, my uncle had a can, so I borrowed it instead of making a trip to town for now, it is jd's version, I sprayed it all around and used my air gun to blow air into it to dry it up several times. left it set over night, tried it the next morning and when I opened the throttle up, the amp guage came up charging as well. so thanks for all u guy's replys and it's back to working again along with that 241.00 dollar new exhaust pipe from mother deere's archives of parts. b ig jim
    Big Jim,

Maybe when you have some time you might want to remove and disassemble the generator. Inspect the front & rear bearings. Make sure there's some meat left to the brushes and inspect the condition of the commutator. If the commutator segments are rough, scored or dirty then you may have to either clean it or have it machined true and replace the brushes with new. Any commutator segments that appear to have a burn on the edge indicate that there's an internal short in the armature windings. This is fairly common with generators.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Big Jim,

Maybe when you have some time you might want to remove and disassemble the generator. Inspect the front & rear bearings. Make sure there's some meat left to the brushes and inspect the condition of the commutator. If the commutator segments are rough, scored or dirty then you may have to either clean it or have it machined true and replace the brushes with new. Any commutator segments that appear to have a burn on the edge indicate that there's an internal short in the armature windings. This is fairly common with generators.
    SGS; well--- the back cover has been missing since I got the tractor in 1988. I had it gone over then, but it probably could use a internal cleaning from the stupid pipe with hole blowing oily soot up inside of it( back plate is missing) I give it a few drops of oil yearly in the oilers. brushes I can see are still lots of meat left yet, rest of stuff--idn. but it's charging! I can take it off and get it cleaned and looked at oh. it could probably work better thou. thanks.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements