• 2 Post By MFreund1
  • 1 Post By Evergreen

Thread: 435D Wide Front Project

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-04-2015 @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks

435D Wide Front Project

I inherited a 1959 JD 435D but it has narrow setup. Want to use it to brushhog; have used it in past with a 5ft king cutter but was leary when on grades and small hills. Live in Pa but farm is in WV. Anyone that owns a 435 wide front - please reach out to me - I'd like to draw up specs for a wide front and get the part fabricated. Will gladly share drawing with the club, fabricator/price - once project is finished. My friend can said he would use his computer for final specs. Any help is appreciated. Also looking for a good JD diesel mechanic in northern WV area - any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by jdswarrior; 08-02-2015 at 03:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    oops meant to say ... Anyone that owns a 435 wide front

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT.
    To my knowledge no tricycle(narrow) frt end 435's were ever produced. A wide frt axle from a 420/430 should bolt on a 435 with no problems after tricycle frt is removed. A JD 2 cyl diesel tricycle utility tractor was built in Argentina numbered the 445
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.jpg  
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 08-02-2015 at 05:11 PM.
    DRobinson likes this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

Caledon Hills (08-03-2015)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Interesting- my father purchased it used with narrow front around 1982. I will check front end next time I am at farm. I called wengers.in pa and guy thought wide front would be around 1800 ?&$ so I figure it is easier to fabricate. Do you have any suggestions where I can get a used wide front end?

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks
    You could try placing a "want ad" in the classified ads on Yesterdays tractors or search Craig's list or Ebay.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

MFreund1 (08-03-2015)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    If it were my tractor, I would buy a used wide front and put it on the tractor. A home built wide front will detract from the value instead of enhance the value. I know, you are never going to sell. But, you are not going to live forever too. If you build the wide front and it does not withstand the use on hills the end may come sooner than later.

It is just not worth the money to build one to me. It may not be you driving the tractor if/when it possibly breaks.
    RandyM and DRobinson like this.
    Matt

NRA Life Member

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks

some possible options here

If your 435 has the front end support from a tricycle, I think you should be able to find a wide front for a 420/430T model for less than $1800.

The 420/430T had four front options: single wheel, dual wheel, 48" to 80" wide, and 68" to 88" wide. All you should need is one of the wide axles with hubs, spindles, tie rods, and mounting parts.

The steering box and worm, steering down shaft, main spindle and front end support you have should be fine.

To remove what you have now and replace with all 435 parts is probably going to be more expensive since you will need more parts and I'd guess there are a lot less 435 models parted than 420/430T models.

I would call Mcgrew's in New Paris, IN, and Dengler's in Middletown OH. I've dealt with both and got great service plus I think they are also close to you.

A pic of the front end support area and tag would be great.
    JD 2305, JD 5105M, JD 40H, JD 40V, JD 420H, JD 430S, JD 430U, JD 430W, JD 730D ARG HC, JD 45 combine

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Hill stability of a wide front vs. a narrow front on an old row-crop is generally a mis-conception as either one is just as likely to roll over on a hillside. A wide front is still hinged where it meets the chassis and therefore offers no additional stability. A high center of gravity when compared to the machine's width has more to do with this problem than anything else. This is why modern tractors are lower, wider, and feature ROPS bars to protect the operator.

Narrow front ends have a few advantages; they make a machine without power steering easier to maneuver at slow speeds, they don't take up as much space in the barn, and in your case, they are rare. I haven't ever heard of a 435 with a narrow front before and if it was a factory option, you may have something that collectors will fight over to have.

If you are going to go with a wide-front, do it with factory parts. If anything so you'll have an easier time ordering parts like tie-rod ends should you break something in the future.
    Levi likes this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements