Restoring MT governor housing...

Thread: Restoring MT governor housing...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-19-2019 @ 11:17 PM
    Thanks

Cool Restoring MT governor housing...

On every M/MT governor housing I have seen recently; the mounting flange for the two spring loaded throttle arms has been badly worn on half its radius by the heavy pressure of the arms connecting spring.. Making it bind and causing engine RPM and throttle position problems. The only locally available fix for cast housings is a brsss braise putting the flange back to round for tighter fit of outer arm. Since brass is rather soft; you are only kicking the problem a little further down the garden path... Does anyone have a solution or repair source whereby one can get a harder weld on that flange OR any other long term fix. The inner arm center shaft hole to outside flange wall is to thin to turn it down to round and pressing on a bushing... Help... I'm about out of airspeed and ideas here!!! KLINK

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wwklink View Post
    On every M/MT governor housing I have seen recently; the mounting flange for the two spring loaded throttle arms has been badly worn on half its radius by the heavy pressure of the arms connecting spring.. Making it bind and causing engine RPM and throttle position problems. The only locally available fix for cast housings is a brsss braise putting the flange back to round for tighter fit of outer arm. Since brass is rather soft; you are only kicking the problem a little further down the garden path... Does anyone have a solution or repair source whereby one can get a harder weld on that flange OR any other long term fix. The inner arm center shaft hole to outside flange wall is to thin to turn it down to round and pressing on a bushing... Help... I'm about out of airspeed and ideas here!!! KLINK
    Welcome aboard!

Here are a few governor housings being advertised on eBay although one definitely appears to have some bellcrank linkage wear:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-M-MI-MT-MC-Tractor-Part-Governor-Housing-Cover-and-Control-Rods/131321312870_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkpar ms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D 20141212152715%26meid%3Dfcd052faff59478782b63e9e5b 1d97ab%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D3 31493637979

John Deere Tractor Governor Housing and Linkage M1709T | eBay

Vintage John Deere Tractor Governor Housing Linkage M1709T M Model Series | eBay

Tough restoring a cast housing. Brazing will work temporarily. You might be able to use a stainless steel Speedi-Sleeve over the cast housing to shim out and restore the O.D. of the bellcrank location:SKF Speedi-Sleeve
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I would be hesitant to do anything that would increase the hardness of the pivot flange because that would cause the throttle rod to wear out instead. Brazing the flange with bronze or Babbitt metal every 15 to 25 years just seems a lot more cost effective. I don't think there is a way to add in an additional support for the throttle rod as it bends immediately after the support.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements