• 2 Post By johnH123
  • 2 Post By popper40

Thread: John Deere 40 All Fuel restoration

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-27-2015 @ 09:57 AM
    Thanks

John Deere 40 All Fuel restoration

I am new to the forum and looking forward to learning the inside scoop on tractor restoration.

I have a 1954 40 series that appears to have been an All-Fuel in its early life.

I am attempting to gather the important parts to get back to looking the part as a graceful lady, again. It has the majority of the "ALL FUEL" parts except the small fuel tank, valve, lines and lever are missing. At some point, the head was changed out to a non "ALL FUEL" head. Currently I am replacing the manifold with a "non ALL FUEL" because the original manifold is in a deteriorated condition. If someone has heard of a manifold restoration company, please let me know, as I would like to have it restored to operational condition.

It is a very cool tractor that was left parked in the outdoors for many years and needs some love. I hope to bring it back to respectable condition as I do not want a "show" tractor but look to have a "driver"

I appreciate any help and look forward to having some fun and learning much.

Randy

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    That is a pretty rare tractor you found. Not a whole lot of model 40 tractors were built as all-fuel machines. The good news is that a lot of parts interchange between the whole family. The M, 40, 320, and 330 shared so many of the same parts that if you were to remove the tin, the only way to tell them apart would be the differences in the operators station. More importantly, the M, 40, 320, and 330 all share the same engine with the only difference being that I think the number series machines had water pumps. The non-rotating parts of a 420 or 430 engine might fit too. All-Fuel components from these other machines should fit your 40. Not that they are very common either, but it gives you more to choose from. However, a service manual and a parts manual should be your first purchases.
    Places like eBay and Steiner Tractor are great sources of parts. Tractor shows and swap meets are also good places to find hidden gems.

Restoring a tractor (or anything else really) takes 3 important things: dedication, patience, and space. You don't have to be an expert on anything besides the basics because you'll be learning a lot as you go. Stay the course and don't get discouraged! Don't be afraid to make a mess either! Keep track of your parts, take pictures, take notes, and thread bolts back into their holes rather than into random coffee cans so you know where they are supposed to go when you go to put the machine back together. Also make sure you don't end up running down the slippery-slope of "well, I know I only set out to do a working restoration, but... " and do a full-blown showroom restoration unless you really mean to. Neither your checking account nor your significant other will be happy with you if your 'working' restoration goes 'showroom'.

Best of luck to you! Please post pictures in the restoration section as you begin your work!
    johnH123 likes this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post

Restoring a tractor (or anything else really) takes 3 important things: dedication, patience, and space.

Best of luck to you! Please post pictures in the restoration section as you begin your work!

4 things, dedication, patience, space, and money.

x2
    DRobinson and CADplans like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-27-2015 @ 09:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the great information. Yes, these projects are not a "get it done quick" proposition.

I enjoy the research and the chasing down of lost treasures. It will be a long process to find the missing parts but staying committed is a necessity. My plan is to get ithe tractor running and back to operational service. I can add the missing all fuel tank, valve, lines and lever when I have everything rounded up. I do not plan on running on a different fuel (at this time) and will probably use additional gas in the starting tank.

To get it fully operational on both fuels would be a major process and heavy addition expense and time consuming. The engine would need to be bored and rebuilt completely. I will find all the all fuel parts and keep this an option for the future.

I also have other truck, car and boat projects underway and need to allocate my time and resources to accomplish other things as I have too many projects that are "started" and unfinished. I hope to have 4 - 6 hours over the Labor Day weekend to spend on the tractor. My current task is cleaning, prep and painting. I would like to get the engine back together and get it started. I had to order a new manifold from Steiner Tactor because they had the manifold that matched up to ports. I order from another company and the manifold was not an exact fit for the ports and I wanted it to be correct. The supplier said they use these all the time with good success, but it was not going to work for me. I am particular about having the correct replacement if the original is not available.

I will send some photos and keep everyone interested updated on my progress.
    DRobinson and grnspot110 like this.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements