Advice on freeing up a stuck engine
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on freeing up a stuck engine

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks

Advice on freeing up a stuck engine

I was curious what others have used to unstick an engine? I have used Kroil on various frozen and rusted things, but never have used it for an engine. For years, I've heard others mention the 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone, but never tried it myself. I know of one guy who soaked the cylinders on a Farmall 560 with just ATF, but it didn't free it up.

Some have just chained two tractors up (one in the front and one behind) to the stuck tractor and pulled it back and forth in gear to pop the engine free.

A JD model 70 is what I'm trying to free up the engine on.

On some engines I've seen an impact wrench used to turn the crank.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts

Wow! Sounds like you have all kinds of options.

I really can not add any experience here as I have never attempted it. But, from what it sounds like you have some possiblities to think about. Slow and steady would be a recomendation and any type of penetrating fluid should work. I have heard of soaking things in diesel fuel to free them up. I wish you luck. And please keep us up to date on your project.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Like Randy, I've never done it but here's what some local guys who restore tractors have done. Try at your own risk.

1. Squirt "Seafoam" down each cylinder and let it set for a while. Seafoam is a brand of penetrating lubricant that is better than WD-40 etc, according to these guys.

2. Put penetrating oil in each cylinder and let it set for awhile. Put the tractor is the highest gear and jack up one side so that the rear tire clears the ground. Rock the tire back and forth until the cylinder moves.

3. Pour coke-a-cola down the cylinder, no I'm not kidding, and let it set for awhile. Jack up the rear on one side and rock the tire back and forth.

I think the biggest thing is the "let it set awhile". Give the penetrating oil or coke time to eat the rust. One guys said, "it takes a while for the engine to stick and it will take a while to free it up.

Good luck.
    Wayne
    2013 JD 4520 CUT with 400X FEL
    1942 LA John Deere
    1910 John Deere Freight Wagon (restored)
    1946 John Deere Series 300 two disk plow

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    .....I drink at least one coke a day.I wonder what that has done to my innards
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgd View Post
    Yeah, me too. Makes you wonder a little.
    Wayne
    2013 JD 4520 CUT with 400X FEL
    1942 LA John Deere
    1910 John Deere Freight Wagon (restored)
    1946 John Deere Series 300 two disk plow

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Thanks
    When I was kid (60years ago) the village blacksmith used Coke to dissolve rust off metal As stated above lots of time was was involved The transit time thru our stomachs is less then an hour

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-15-2011 @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks

Penetrating oil

I used some stuff called PB blaster on a 4 cylinder New Holland backhoe that was run out of oil. I pulled the injectors but didnt have to pull the drain plug as it was never tightened hence the run out of oil part. I emptied almost two and a half cans of PB blaster into the the cylinders and let it set for a week and it freed the engine up. I have used it on all kinds of stuff and seems to work pretty good, give it a shot if you can find it, I always get it at NAPA.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    01-23-2012 @ 05:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green and red man View Post
    I was curious what others have used to unstick an engine? I have used Kroil on various frozen and rusted things, but never have used it for an engine. For years, I've heard others mention the 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone, but never tried it myself. I know of one guy who soaked the cylinders on a Farmall 560 with just ATF, but it didn't free it up.

Some have just chained two tractors up (one in the front and one behind) to the stuck tractor and pulled it back and forth in gear to pop the engine free.

A JD model 70 is what I'm trying to free up the engine on.

On some engines I've seen an impact wrench used to turn the crank.
    I have used Marvel Oil on two engines. filled cylinders and let set a week and was able to free engine , agter blowing out remaining Marvel Oil engine started and ran. Comes in a Red can and I have found it at Walmart and Auto Zone.
    2002 LT160 42"Freedom Deck

IF IT ISN'T GREEN IT ISN'T WORTH PAYING GREEN !!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas. I've got a little bit of this and that at the shop and am mixing things together to make a home brew penetrating oil. I made a little experiment with some ingredients to see which ones were absorbed better and spread out on steel and wood surfaces. Brake fluid appears to be a better substance for penetrating tiny areas than tranny fluid. I'm trying to be careful and not mix anything that would cause a nasty chemical reaction. Acetone is one ingredient that I added to the brake fluid and other ingredients, including Kroil. Some other industrial strength things will be added to the mixture. I am wearing protective gloves to minimize skin contact and am mixing the stuff outdoors to allow the vapors to vent.
    I am going to pour it through the spark plug holes and let it set a week and then see if things will free up. Will let y'all know what the results are.

Thanks again for the ideas.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    11-30-2013 @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    Never heard of using coke to free an engine, but it is really good at cleaning windshields. Put it on full strength, wipe around with a rag, then rinse off really well. Old cab driver's trick...

Quote Originally Posted by rgd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wayne View Post
    Yeah, me too. Makes you wonder a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by GUS FINK View Post
    When I was kid (60years ago) the village blacksmith used Coke to dissolve rust off metal As stated above lots of time was was involved The transit time thru our stomachs is less then an hour

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast