Advice before purchasing a 1930's Model A JD

Thread: Advice before purchasing a 1930's Model A JD

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-29-2019 @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks

Advice before purchasing a 1930's Model A JD

So I've been doing a bunch of research and eventually would like to purchase a 1930's (32'-38') model A. I really like the vintage look of these tractors. I'm not going to use it for really anything other than to just take out and drive for fun.
    I'm looking for advice from the JD family on here on the 30's years and Model A before making a purchase. What should I look for, be concerned about, do's and do not's, easy to maintain, etc. ? I will add that if I can find a reasonable one already restored that would be great and/or almost finished with a few minor touchups left would be ok to.
    Thanks everyone for your advice and if you currently own one would you mind telling me about your experience and post some pictures.
    Travis
    Last edited by thpohlman; 09-27-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:46 PM
    Thanks
    im no expert in the a..... but i think they started in 1934. hand starting is a fine art and takes practice.
    many different styles of the a so pick the one you like best and go after it. check the normal stuff engine,tranny, brakes,,etc forget about the all fuel unless you have k1 in your area and its cheap

good luck in your hunt
    1935 jd model D
    65 110 rf
    77 jd 80 cart
    83 420 rear pto, 3 point hitch
    88 332 46"deck s
    89 420 60" deck
    89 318
    jd #8 chainsaw (remington)
    2)jd 35ev chainsaws (echo)
    jd 50v chainsaw (echo
    jd 60v chainsaw (echo)
    jd 70v chainsaw (echo) sold
    jd 80ev chainsaw (echo)
    jd cs40 chainsaw (efco 940)
    husqvarna 240 chainsaw
    husqvarna 372xp chainsaw
    husqvarna 455 chainsaw
    2)dolmar 117 chainsaws
    dolmar 100 chainsaw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 89420 For This Useful Post:

thpohlman (09-27-2015)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    To me, the A and the D are what made Deere, Deere. The GP, while cool, is a huge pain in the a to deal with. The B actually sold better than the A. none the less. the early A's can still be had but seem harder to find, but at least lot of the newer parts can be used if need be. Just keep in mind, that if your a purist, that these early ones were still "experimental" bugs were getting worked out.
    As for hand start, its no big deal, as long as your carb is clean and adjusted correctly they will start well below freezing with a pull or two, each one is a little different, but once you know yours, it will be like that long past your expiration date, as long as serviced and maintained.
    I have a mid 30's unstyled, and my great grand-dads 46 A, but hand start, i am looking for an original AW, no particular year. They are fun to play with. Odds are you will find an All-fuel, dont worry, it will still run on gas. dont freak over the exhaust seats and leaded fuel, if your just piddling around the head will once again, out live you.

Good luck, and if i find what you are looking for, ill let you know.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tlock0331 For This Useful Post:

thpohlman (10-08-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-29-2019 @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tlock0331 View Post
    To me, the A and the D are what made Deere, Deere. The GP, while cool, is a huge pain in the a to deal with. The B actually sold better than the A. none the less. the early A's can still be had but seem harder to find, but at least lot of the newer parts can be used if need be. Just keep in mind, that if your a purist, that these early ones were still "experimental" bugs were getting worked out.
    As for hand start, its no big deal, as long as your carb is clean and adjusted correctly they will start well below freezing with a pull or two, each one is a little different, but once you know yours, it will be like that long past your expiration date, as long as serviced and maintained.
    I have a mid 30's unstyled, and my great grand-dads 46 A, but hand start, i am looking for an original AW, no particular year. They are fun to play with. Odds are you will find an All-fuel, dont worry, it will still run on gas. dont freak over the exhaust seats and leaded fuel, if your just piddling around the head will once again, out live you.

Good luck, and if i find what you are looking for, ill let you know.
    Thanks so much for the info. All good stuff to know.
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements