• 1 Post By Brian W

Thread: John Deere Model 40 - starting issue

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-15-2017 @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks

John Deere Model 40 - starting issue

Hey all,
    Have an issue with my 40.... Since the day I got it, sometimes you need to pull the starter engage switch a few times before it actually works, it then fires right up. Over time it got worse, pull it 5-6 times before it fired. Today I started it, had to pull the lever 5 times and fired up and ran. Stopped it, tried to start again and finally nothing. Any ideas? The starter is not jammed. I took the solenoid off and cleaned up, the solenoid had been replaced once before. Still nothing. Got a good battery.
    Any idea what it could be? Starter? Solenoid? Starter switch (for ignition/headlights)? Any help appreciated before I start buying parts
    Thanks
    Brian
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    It definitely sounds like your problem is electric in nature. How are your ground connections? The starter grounds out where the body of the starter motor meets the bell housing and rust could be making that connection faulty. You might as well check the battery's ground too. The power switch on the dash board doesn't seem as likely unless the tractor cuts out while it is running. Also, make sure your power cables are in good shape. Over time they can actually wear out too.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-19-2016 @ 07:27 PM
    Thanks
    Just finished replacing the ignition/light switch on my 48 M, it had gotten to the point it would crank and crank but not start. Started moving switch around and realized it seemed to be related to switch position plus lights not working. Replaced the switch and it starts almost before I can release the pull knob.

Are you cranking but not starting or not even turning over? Not sure if the 40 has the lever switch that engages the starter but if so and not even turning the starter I'd start there.

Now to figure out why ammeter not showing charge, so learning about 6 volt generators and cutoffs will be the course of the week
    Last edited by zload; 11-15-2015 at 09:39 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zload View Post
    Just finished replacing the ignition/light switch on my 48 M, it had gotten to the point it would crank and crank but not start. Started moving switch around and realized it seemed to be related to switch position plus lights not working. Replaced the switch and it starts almost before I can release the pull knob.

Are you cranking but not starting or not even turning over? Not sure if the 40 has the lever switch that engages the starter but if so and not even turning the starter I'd start there.

Now to figure out why ammeter not showing charge, so learning about 6 volt generators and cutoffs will be the course of the week
    Welcome from Pennsylvania.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Either of you still stuck or have you figured things out?
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    04-19-2016 @ 07:27 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
    Either of you still stuck or have you figured things out?
    Haven't got back to mine yet, found lots of good diagnostic help online so no just need the time to work on it. If I get stuck I'll start a new post.
    Evergreen likes this.
    1948 JD M w/M Series single row cultivator, M Series 2 bottom turn plow, M Series Side Dresser, Cole Single Hopper planter converted from mule drawn in the 50s

1996 Kubota B2400HSD with some more 3 pt stuff for single row crops and rotary cutter

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-15-2017 @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    Fixed mine - I took off the ground, wire brushed it and the same with the battery posts and terminals. Seems that my problem was there somewhere. Just confused me, was t sure why it continually got worse and then quit altogether after a few months like that. But got it resolved. Thanks for everyone's advice and help!
    Evergreen likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements