• 1 Post By coalminer16
  • 3 Post By coalminer16

Thread: John Deere 430 industrial parts

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 03:24 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 430 industrial parts

I am looking for information on the 430 industrial. My hood is in bad shape and I may need to rebuild some of the engine judging from the knock sound. Clutch seems to also need either adjustment or replacement parts. Is there good places to do this? I haven't been in the two cylinder restoring for a while and I haven't done any really with this generation of tractor. Thank you.
    "Travis" on WFM
    First year 332 with H3 added X 2, JD 3 pt, JD factory delux seat with flip pan. 430 rear diff. 430 fender deck(have two that are mirror copies of themselves). 420, two more 332's.
    Attachments:JD 44 loader, JD 50 inch mowing deck, JD 48 replacement mowing deck JD 47 two stage snow blower, JD Hyd 42 Tiller, Gannon Earthcavator 42 inch 3 point mount, Cozy cab, JD 20 plow, Brinly 12 inch plow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    For the most part, the M/40/420/430 tractors are the same underneath their paint. Most 430 and 420 ag parts will fit your 430-I. The M had a different hydraulic system and the M and the 40 had slightly different motors, but many little things like the fuel tank, hubs, brakes, clutch, torque tube, oil filter, etc, are carry-overs. I think a 420 motor and a 430 motor are the same which means all the greasy parts on the inside should be interchangeable... But check on that before you order parts. Hood is different from a 420, but the grill is the same as the 420 and 40.

The first thing I would recommend is that you get yourself a set of manuals for the tractor. Operators/owners manual and a shop manual. Spend the extra coin to get the Deere manual rather than the cheap off-brand one because it will be so much more specific. In restorations, specific = helpful. After you have the manuals and have read through them, do little exploratory tear down and start collecting a list of parts you are going to need. There are lots of places online you can order from; Steiner Tractor and a whole bunch of similar sites, e-Bay has quite a bit of NOS and reman parts, NAPA carries a lot of the gaskets and seals, and of course John Deere.

I believe that it is so much more rewarding to ride around on your own handiwork an to pay someone else to do it for you. The great thing about these old tractors is that it really only takes a handful of wrenches, a lot of PB Blaster, and a little mechanical aptitude to work on them. They are so wonderfully basic that just about anyone can do it. I really like working on and with this series of tractors because they are nice and small. It isn't a hike to walk from one side to the other and I can reach everything without a ladder. My M is small enough that it takes up half of one stall in the garage... My old Model G didn't even fit through the door!

If you have more questions, this is certainly the place for them. Best of luck to you!

(Also, sooner or later, someone is going to post one of these: You've been warned!)
    DRobinson likes this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6083.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	93649

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6581.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	93657

Fair enough on the pictures. I have worked on plenty of the two cylinders-just not of this era which seems to be a different group of people and area's to get parts. Plus when I worked on the older two cylinders internet wasn't used as much as it can be today. Yes-that is a factory Holt/JD forklift. You will see the other one is the only 420 propane model made that is at my families place in MN. They made around 25 420's and recalled them and then came out with the 430 and made around 35 of them. It weighs more then a full 830 with weights.
    DRobinson likes this.
    "Travis" on WFM
    First year 332 with H3 added X 2, JD 3 pt, JD factory delux seat with flip pan. 430 rear diff. 430 fender deck(have two that are mirror copies of themselves). 420, two more 332's.
    Attachments:JD 44 loader, JD 50 inch mowing deck, JD 48 replacement mowing deck JD 47 two stage snow blower, JD Hyd 42 Tiller, Gannon Earthcavator 42 inch 3 point mount, Cozy cab, JD 20 plow, Brinly 12 inch plow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    I would love to see more pics of that forklift. Especially since it's so rare. Can you take some more pics of it for us?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    You should bring them by my place and use them to pick my jaw up off the floor!

I have heard about those, but I have never seen any. I assumed they had all been junked! When you said 430I, I just assumed you meant a yellow version of a green 430. Those are truly special pieces and I can see why you might have trouble getting parts.

I may be wrong, but it looks like a normal 430 gearbox turning geared final drives off of shortened axle shafts. If that is the case, a standard 430 clutch should be hiding in there. At least you can use one forklift to hold the other while you split it!

Please post more pictures!
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    i am REALLY interested to hear about how and where you found them!! Those are a couple really special tractors! Please share that story as well!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I actually didn't want to post the pictures right away as I didn't want to be side tracked on what it was until I had first what I needed to fix it. I am not as familiar with the Dubuque made tractors and I know there is a few differences additionally on the industrial models on a few areas (reverser for one). I would like to know good new and used parts sources for these. I can't go to the same places as I received my parts for the 1924 spoker D or 1928 GP like I did 15 years ago during my last full sized tractor restoration or even the new gen tractors we have done. Hood is as I said the worst shape of the tin but not terrible. A body person could someday fix it.

Now on to some of the answers. A very detailed collector had an auction a few weeks ago. He had schedule it before he had died as he just had too many things. But unfortunately he did die due to a tractor roll over pulling his jeep out so he daughters held the sale. The items he collected were the rarest of the rare. It was either in mint condition or if it wasn't-it was because it was one of one typically. We bought a coffin block A peddle tractor from him several years ago as well. So - to the forklift. There was one in my neck of the woods that was a 420 but in REALLY bad shape. Dealer owns it and wanted to sell to us with a partial trade for a JD wooden rim bike. It didn't have a SN tag which bothers us as collectors. He stated it was like that due to the recall as he said the only way to keep your tractor with the recall was to removed the decals and SN tag. Well-his was the only one we know of without a tag. We meet a couple other people at the sale that between them each had one 420 and one 430 and they too had SN tags. So we didn't want the one in my area because it was going to be WAY to much work for this point in our lives and in the end it is still a big ugly forklift that takes up a lot of room and takes a lot of truck and trailer (at 10,000 lbs) to move around. Fast forward a few months to this sale no one was bidding. So my father put one bid on it and won for the rarest of the forklifts-the propane. Then around 10 tractors down as I was farting around getting the 420 started he saw the 430 was going way to cheap so he put one bid in (not as rare so it was much cheaper then the 420 and the 420 had better tins). He won that as well. Didn't think they would fit on the trailer even.

So-we are toward the end of our collecting abilities shy of building more buildings. Somewhere you have to stop. My mother and sister in law weren't happy to have 2 forklifts (they weren't happy with the one) so the 430 was dropped off at my place to use. The 420 is at my brothers to use. He has a smaller 2000 lb lift. Now we both have 6,000 lb lifts. His smaller lift would get stuck really easy outside. These are harder to get stuck but harder to get out once stuck. They don't lift very high. The picture of the cab is about as high as it goes. We are converting both to 12 volt systems and keeping the old 6 volt parts as we are actually using them still. Someday we will restore but in our family a restore means it still works afterwards.

As far as the forklift and tractor parts-the tractor is mounted in the forklift frame. There is no need to split the entire tractor. The wheels can be on the ground while pulling the engine as the rearend would still be mounted in the frame that the tractor is set into. There is a foot throttle that on the 430 is missing the cable parts and is different then the 420 system. But I plan on hooking it up as it is nice on the 420 driving it around. There is also brake locks on it. Power steering system ran from a the tractors hyd pump and the forklift hydraulics are ran off a pump mounted off the front of the engine (back in this case). No side shift-just up/down and tilt. The reverser is REALY nice so you don't need to shift gears to go back and forth. Bearings on the 430 final were so bad the gears almost wouldn't mate up anymore. Don't know how we got it on the trailer and off again.

The 420 was used at the JD factory from the stories told. Don't know why there is the roll cage but we are leaving it on as it has a history. Maybe due to a OSHA and using in a factory? Has an old fire extinguisher on it even. There is already a side plate mounted on the 420 that will make a nice stand for a propane tank to sit. That way you can run it off that and not worry about the tractor dying somewhere and getting a truck out to fill it or load the beast up to get it filled.

I can take a few more pictures but I do want help with the parts side too.
    "Travis" on WFM

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements