Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Finally Got the 70 Home

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-25-2016 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks

Finally Got the 70 Home

It's been almost 3 months since I started working on this deal, but I finally got the 70 home late last night. I purchased it from the son of the man who bought it brand new in 1954. Would that make me the 2nd owner? Anyway, here's the story: They used it farming until they purchased newer bigger tractors. After it was no longer being used for farming, the owner's kids decided to have it painted for a birthday present for their dad. Mistake. He parked it and never used it again because he "liked it the way it was." It's been siting in a field for several years and the cattle have eaten the ignition system wiring off of it. It is a gas tractor with a gas carb, but the previous owners installed a propane regulator and tank and have been running it on that fuel. The engine seemed to spin easily with a little pull, so the plan is to get some juice to it and check the oil pressure before we wire it up and try to get it to fire. In addition to the wiring, I have 2 immediate issues to address: 1. The clutch seems to be stuck, so I'll have to try to free that up. Any and all thoughts appreciated. 2. The brakes are apart and the shoes are missing. Are those interchangeable? Or are they specific to the 70. It looks like everything else is there. Again, any advice appreciated. I tried to post some pics. Sorry they're bad. Wrecker lights were messing with me.
    Merry Christmas!
    Josh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image_1449977607799.jpg   image_1449977648107.jpg   image_1449977691513.jpg  
    RandyM, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 8 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts

Finally Got the 70 Home

Congrats!

The clutch will need to be pulled apart to fix correctly. It's real easy on these tractors since its the belt pulley on the right side. Simply open it up and replace the parts as needed. The aftermarket has plenty of parts available for these.

The brakes are just as easy to deal with. There are plenty of choices for parts. You can easily source them on eBay as well. The shoes fit several models.

An original JD (or re-print) service manual is a really good thing to have. The small aftermarket manuals are ok, but seriously lack all the greater detail the JD manuals have.

Post lots of pictures and don't hesitate to ask questions.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Please tell me you are going to ditch that ugly LP tank and put it back to stock! Overall, I'd say you have a pretty good tractor for either a restoration or work horse.

My G was as strong as an ox and so was my grandpa's 70 diesel. If you were after power, you have it now!
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 1,065 Posts
    JPOKC
    boy that model 70, makes my model 50 look like a toy. I like the wide front end. good luck on ur repairs. big jim
    etcallhome likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-13-2019 @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 955 Posts
    Congrats, I don't think I have ever seen a 70 with the wide front. The size of the 70 always impressed me, enjoy🏼
    grnspot110 and BigJim55 like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Thanks
    Nice find!!!

I had a 70 diesel at one time, my first tractor! Pony motor could be a pain at times!

Grew up on an electric start 720D.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    07-15-2019 @ 12:49 PM
    Thanks
    70's are always cool tractors, to me, always under appreciated for their relevance, i have a 70 diesel standard and a 70 R/C diesel.

If i tell you anything you already know i apologize, as these are just my observations.

I think your wide front is a norton, i dont remember swartz using round tubes but i wont swear to it. Either way.

You are very lucky the carb is still there, original 70 gas carbs are like gold, the 720/730 carb will work, but the correct police will let you know haha

Someone changed out the generator for an alternator, so when you go back to wiring, the original wiring diagrams will probably be wrong. they came out as positive ground with amp meters. The coil and distributor wiring will be opposite.

I have a LOT of brakes, complete, and a bunch of shoes, they would just need linings, at least they are already apart, thats the tough part. if you need the drums, or pins and rollers etc, let me know. Your just down in OKC so it wouldnt be that big of deal.

When you tear your clutch down, wd-40 is your friend, use it liberally, as long as your driver, adjusting disk, or sliding drive disks are okay your in good shape, I buy my clutches from sharps tractor in fair grove mo. i buy several at a time because the shipping is the same if i buy 5 or 1.

Put up some more pictures of your 70!

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot guys! I've been waiting on this one for a while. I've always wanted a 70 or 720. I like the standards best, but as you know, it's hard to find them with rock shafts and I definitely need the 3 point. I can' wait to get to work on this tractor. I will probably do a little work this week and some more this weekend.

I figure my immediate concern has to be the clutch and wiring. I'll worry about the brakes after I get her firing.

Here's my plan of attack:
    1. Battery Cables and ignition wiring and tuneup.
    2. Clutch.
    3. Brakes.
    4. Change all fluids.

Is the fluid info in the manual going to be good still? Or do I need to be looking for more modern products?

All thoughts and opinions welcome any time. More pics coming as soon as I can get out there.

Thanks again!
    Josh

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Modern fluids work just fine as long as you do your homework. For example, you'll want to skip the Castrol or Valvoline car oil and use an oil formulated for vehicles with flat-tappet cams such as Shell Rotella or another name-brand diesel truck oil. Also, shorten your first oil change interval will also be pretty short because waking the tractor up will stir up a lot of sediment. Don't forget to put oil in the air cleaner as well!

Before you dump in a bunch of coolant, make sure you have the radiator flushed and/or boiled out. I use a generic 50/50 coolant in my two-cylinders and have never had an issue with the cooling system.

Get the biggest battery that will fit. Even being a gasoline burner, the 70 has a huge motor. If you plan on using it in the winter you will want the extra juice.

Don't neglect the transmission oil either! Huge cast iron cases sweat a lot of water which will break down the gear oil and ruin your new toy. Change this at least once a year regardless of use if only to combat condensation.

A good set of genuine shop manuals (skip those crappy ones from tractor supply) will not be a waste of money. I can promise you that!
    Last edited by Evergreen; 12-14-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Fixt pour grammar
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    No work done yet. Still gathering information, literature, and parts. Here are some more 70 pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image_1450396211576.jpg   image_1450396232690.jpg  

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast