M Cultivator Problem

Thread: M Cultivator Problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-07-2012 @ 02:07 AM
    Thanks

M Cultivator Problem

I'm getting Dad's 1947 M back into use and having a real problem with the (1-row) cultivator. If I move the shank on the rear plows up high enough to get the front cultivators into the ground, the rig beam on the front rig falls off the lift pipe. Put the rear shanks down far enough to keep that from happening and the front plows won't touch the ground. It's like the lift pipes are too short, but they are the originals.
    I plowed thousands of miles with one of these when I was kid, but I realize now that I just drove; Dad always set up the plows before he went to work. Ergo, I can't get the plows adjusted right and it's driving me nuts. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    I'm getting Dad's 1947 M back into use and having a real problem with the (1-row) cultivator. If I move the shank on the rear plows up high enough to get the front cultivators into the ground, the rig beam on the front rig falls off the lift pipe. Put the rear shanks down far enough to keep that from happening and the front plows won't touch the ground. It's like the lift pipes are too short, but they are the originals.
    I plowed thousands of miles with one of these when I was kid, but I realize now that I just drove; Dad always set up the plows before he went to work. Ergo, I can't get the plows adjusted right and it's driving me nuts. Any thoughts?
    Dave- I regret that I can't come up with an instant fix, but I too bought a JD "M" with a cultivator. The cultivator is now off it, but as I recall, the main beam is captured by a "U" shaped bracket under the belly of the tractor. The hooks that capture the round rear lift bar, in the back had clips that would secure it to the rear (round) draw bar. I can't see how it could 'escape'! I'm wondering if you're missing the drawbar keepers? It appears to me that it was the 1947 version of a "Quick-Tach" system! I can get you some photos this weekend if you'd like. Welcome to GTT! ~Scotty

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-07-2012 @ 02:07 AM
    Thanks
    That would be great! I'll try to get a couple of shots showing the problem area, too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks

A Public appolige!

I forgot to take those pics! I had a an awesome weekend tilling a neighboring guys food plot! He own 10X the land that I do, lets us hunt at will, and I like to 'pitch-in' whenever I can. Lots of seat-time and total forgot to snap some shots! I haven't forgot about ya! ~Scotty

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks

John Deere "M" Cultivator Latch

These are marginal Pictures, Dave. Got out there, forgot camera, these are from son's SmartPhone! I'm soooo bad at this, let me see if I can attach them.........~Scotty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CultivatorLatch.jpg   imageMA29424200-0002.jpg   imageMA29424200-0003.jpg  

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements