Overunning Clutch - John Deere M

Thread: Overunning Clutch - John Deere M

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-15-2017 @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks

Overunning Clutch - John Deere M

Hey guys, I went to Tractor supply and bought an overrunning clutch that slides onto my PTO to use between the brushhog... I seen this would be a smart investment with the set-up, and I'm sick of getting push around while mowing! So I got it home, went to install it and the clutch would not slide on for enough onto the tractor's PTO shaft to have the pin be able to slide through the groove on the tractor shaft. So, either my Model M PTO shaft is too long or the Overrun clutch is not deep enough to accommodate. Is this overrun clutch a standard depth or can/should I look for a deeper one? Would I need to shorten the PTO shaft by an inch or so to make it work? Anyone else ever have this issue?
    Thanks,
    Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Brian,

The overrunning clutch should slide right on (well, it may need some friendly persuasion). I had one on my 40 Utility, which is just a newer M. In fact, I think I bought the clutch from TSC.

First, is the PTO shaft on your M straight and not twisted? I have seen some old Fords with a slight twist in the PTO shaft from heavy use (abuse) over the years. If your shaft isn't straight, the clutch won't slide onto it. Also, did you unscrew the grease fitting and cap screw on the opposite side of the grease fitting? Could these be interfering with the fit? You have to take them out to install the pin anyway, so may as well do it now.

If the PTO shaft isn't nice and clean, it will also prevent the clutch from sliding on. It is a tight fit. Maybe clean the PTO shaft and put some grease on it. You may have to give the clutch a few hits with a deadblow hammer to get it on.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Andy,
    the shaft is straight, i can hook up the brush hog PTO shaft with no issue, slides right on. The Overrun clutch just isnt deep enough inside to slide all the way on. I did remove the grease fittings, as I had to for installing the pin. The shaft is clean and lubed. I'll try whacking it with a mallet to see if i could get it closer, but I'm pretty sure that won't be the answer... just wasnt sure if this was a "standard" issue or if i should see about getting a different overrrunning clutch.

Thanks,
    Brian

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,082 Times in 2,548 Posts
    It should all be standard...have you measured the hole location on both to prove it is not deep enough?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks

I've found that TSC.........

.............has been good to me for returns. With or without a receipt. Not trying to be a '[email protected]', but wouldn't a simple measurement of the depth of the pocket, and pin depth, vs. the length of the PTO Stub and measurement to the 'notch' depth, would be valuable, before the 'beating it on' mode takes place! ~Scotty

Opps, I guess KennyD just covered that......sorry........~S

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I checked out my clutch. The only mark on it I could find was AC1. I am guessing that is the model number. It looks just like the one on the TSC website. Mine is about 6.5" long. The end that slips over your existing PTO shaft is 2.5" deep, and it is solid at the bottom so that is as far as you could put a PTO shaft into it.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	o_r_clutch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	9370

Does yours look like this (only cleaner )?
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor

KB3WPN

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    ok.... so this is my first tractor.... and there's a bit of a learning curve....... so....... i got the clutch, went back out behind the tractor with a tape measure and a mallet. As i was looking at the shaft out the back of tractor, it appeared there was a hole going through it...... so i pushed the grease and and there it was. Slid the clutch on and hammered the pin through. done in two minutes. Wasn't aware i was looking for that hole, thought the pin would align with the grooved ut part of the shaft. Felt like an idiot, lol! but thanks for all your help and replies. Coulnt beleive I missed it initially!!!

Thanks!

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,082 Times in 2,548 Posts
    No worries Brian, we have all been there at one time or another-no one here was born a expert no matter what they might think

Thanks for the update.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
    ...the clutch would not slide on for enough onto the tractor's PTO shaft to have the pin be able to slide through the groove on the tractor shaft.
    LOL!!! First, as Kenny said, we've all been there. In fact, I didn't see the HOLE in my PTO shaft when I first went to install the overrunning clutch.

Second, if any of us had bothered to actually read what you initially wrote instead of what we thought you wrote, we would have noticed you said you were trying to get the pin to slide into the GROOVE in the shaft, and not the HOLE.

Glad you got it figured out and installed.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor

KB3WPN

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements