Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Evergreen

Thread: 1937 Unstyled B- Temp Gauge

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-02-2016 @ 09:25 AM
    Thanks

1937 Unstyled B- Temp Gauge

Wondering how you use an aftermarket gauge that has a 30"-72" temp lead, when it's only about 12" to the housing.
    What do you do with all the extra coiled temp wire?
    thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to easygoin4 For This Useful Post:

44JohnDeereBR (02-09-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I'm going to assume you have a mechanical rather than electrical gauge. Electric gauges are easy; shorten the wire and you are all set. The "wire" on a mechanical gauge isn't actually a wire at all, but a thin copper tube inside of a metal loom which transmits pressurized gas from the thermalcouple to the gauge. Heat on the thermalcouple causes the gas to expand and thus moves the needle on your gauge. Be very careful not to kink or cut this line or your gauge will need to be sent in to be rebuilt. So unfortunately, you might be stuck with a bit of excess lead. Normally ya just coil up the extra and tuck it where it is out of sight... Not sure how you would accomplish that on an unstyled tractor.

For what it's worth: 1933 Plymouth Temperature Gauge Repair
    I would leave shortening a temperature lead to a professional, but if you are feeling lucky go for it and let us know how it turns out.
    Last edited by Evergreen; 02-08-2016 at 05:12 PM.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Evergreen For This Useful Post:

44JohnDeereBR (02-09-2016)

6. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2016 @ 09:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks, Probably will have to just coil up as you say.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    That's what I did when my M needed a new temp gauge last summer. Coiled it up into a neat little bundle, snugged it up with a half-a-dozen zip ties, and hid the coil inside the dashboard casting. Out of sight, out of mind, good to go.

Just be sure you don't kink the line trying to stuff it somewhere!
    dieselshadow likes this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements