1939 styled model B fire damage...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 1939 styled model B fire damage...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-28-2016 @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks

1939 styled model B fire damage...

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and new to 2 cylinders. I have just recently acquired a 1939 styled model B that was unfortunately damaged in a barn fire. The real extent of the damage is not completely known yet as I am picking up the tractor this weekend. The tractor was brought to my attention by a friend and after looking at some pictures and given a good price I couldn't have resisted the opportunity, as owning a 2cyl Deere has been a long standing dream of mine that had since been put on the backburner.. I know the tractor needs gone through completely but the motor turns freely (hand start) and the tractor had been completely restored before the fire had occured and it ran very well. I thought I would share with everyone and ask if anyone else has ever dealt with a tractor, in particular, a 2cyl Deere that was a victim of a fire. Also is it possible that the engine would run if it was completely resealed and new rad core, boots, etc. As far as my friend knows, the tractor was exposed to the fire for an hour. Tires are burnt off. But other things seem solid. Tin is straight. Just asking what happens to a tractor like this when it has been burnt, what happens to gaskets? Head? Bearings? And so forth...

Ill try to get some pictures up for you guys

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Welcome from northeastern Pennsylvania. It will be interesting following you through your project.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Welcome from West Virginia

Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,580 Times in 991 Posts
    Welcome aboard from Massachusetts!

Your project sounds like a lot of work but as they say, "Where there's a will, there's a way."

The fire would have caused the paint to burn-off the sheet metal and it will begin rusting right away. Depending on how long and how hot it got will determine whether the entire drivetrain needs to be disassembled and rebuilt. If I were you, I'd plan on it needing a total teardown and rebuild. You may be better off using it as a parts machine for another restoration.
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 02-28-2016 at 07:43 AM.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Dad bought a styled '40 B in December of 1969. Being in a barn fire would have would have been a blessing for that tractor! It was an extremely crude mechanical contraption. I was never a fan of the 2-cylinder tractors no matter what seried! I tried to use it for various light jobs around the farm but finally parked it in a shed on the other farm and used my FARMALL Super H for any job the B was capable of. Dad paid $90 for it. No way was I driving the thing 5mph, SIX HOURS to get it homeme from an old retired farmer's estate sale about 30 miles from home. It was running at the sale. A week later when we went back to tow it home we both cranked on the flywheel until we couldn't stand up anymore, then towed the tractor two miles, then spun the flywheel some more, and finally it sputtered a bit and ran. We had to have the engine running to tow it according to all our local dealer mechanics. That miserably hard starting was a trait it kept as long as we owned it. It was obvious that the longer it sat not running the better it started, but put it on a job that required starting every day or several times a day it would NOT start.

If the tires burned off your tractor the magneto is gone too. I would say any and all grease seals & gaskets would need replacing too. It would help to know the condition of the oil in the engine and various transmission gearboxes. Those old tractors used thick oils, pull the drain plugs and see if they drain at all. If they got hot enough the oil may be burnt into tar in the gearboxes. I suspect the clutch friction disks and brake shoes may be damaged also. Any sealed bearing would have the grease burned out of it. Also check the condition of the fuel lines going from the fuel tanks to the carb, they'll give you an idea how much heat the carb was exposed to. It will probably need a complete rebuild, new float, gaskets, maybe even fuel lines and fittings. It may seem odd, but the radiator is probably junk too, all the solder melted out of the fins & tubes.
    MFreund1 likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to POWERSTROKE For This Useful Post:

MFreund1 (02-28-2016)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,580 Times in 991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post

If the tires burned off your tractor the magneto is gone too. I would say any and all grease seals & gaskets would need replacing too. It would help to know the condition of the oil in the engine and various transmission gearboxes. Those old tractors used thick oils, pull the drain plugs and see if they drain at all. If they got hot enough the oil may be burnt into tar in the gearboxes. I suspect the clutch friction disks and brake shoes may be damaged also. Any sealed bearing would have the grease burned out of it. Also check the condition of the fuel lines going from the fuel tanks to the carb, they'll give you an idea how much heat the carb was exposed to. It will probably need a complete rebuild, new float, gaskets, maybe even fuel lines and fittings. It may seem odd, but the radiator is probably junk too, all the solder melted out of the fins & tubes.
    Yep, I thought it and you said it.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    At best it would be a good tractor for parts. At worst it is a rusted pile of scrap.

Depending on how it was stored after the fire it may be seized up. Remember, when they put out the fire everything was soaked. If it burned the tires off, it was HOT! If this is your first it may be too big of a project for you. I have access to a experienced rebuilder and I would not take on a total burn.

I am not trying to discourage you, but I am trying to help you by not spending $10,000 on a $4000 tractor. Not all can be saved.

Good luck!
    dieselshadow likes this.
    Matt

NRA Life Member

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 766 Posts
    Welcome to GTT.

You have come to the right place. If it can be done, there is someone here that has either done it or can do it.

I would start by tearing it down, doing an inventory or what you have and what you need and go from there.

While you are tearing it down, clean it up and get some primer on the good parts.

Good luck with your project and feel free to post lots of pictures!
    DRobinson likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    02-28-2016 @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks
    Wow guys thanks for all the awesome replies! Here are some pics and as you can see, she's pretty crispy. I know they are crappy pictures because of the snow but you can get an idea until I pick her up next weekend. My friend told me I may need new rims because of the heat???? They don't look bad but again I cant see the bottoms of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20151122_154507-1.jpg   IMG_20151122_154429.jpg  
    Last edited by Ethan2cyl; 02-28-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Now I'm not going to rule out the possibility that this tractor could be resurrected... But it will be a lot of work. No joke, this could take you a few years. You are going to need a space to work, time, a good set of tools, and a few gallons of PB Blaster. Most of all, you are going to need patience. If you have a significant other, they need to understand all of this too.

Sometimes restoring an old piece of iron ISNT a "wise" choice when you break it down into dollars and cents. Then again, no price tag can be put on the satisfaction of a completed project.

A good set of manuals will help. Take pictures for reference. Sort and label parts.

Good luck.
    rtgt likes this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast