• 1 Post By grnspot110
  • 1 Post By Camlocker75

Thread: Newly acquired 60

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-25-2016 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks

Newly acquired 60

Howdy! Sorry to be MIA for a while. It's been a crazy few weeks. Through an unpredictable turn of events, I sold the 70 I was working on and acquired the model 60 in the pics. According to the 2 cylinder club serial numbers, it's a 1953 model. It needs a brake job and carb job to be 100%, but it starts easy and runs out pretty good. It has had a full fluid change and the oil pressure and gas gauge work, but are not original. I've never seen the temp gauge move, but I have probably have only run it about an hour since I got it last weekend. This is my first early number series tractor that runs and operates. Manuals in order. Any and all advice appreciated.

*I bought a 5' brush hog to go with it (also pictured) and am getting a carry all and plow in the coming weeks. I'm also hoping to leverage my way into some hay equiptment before that time of year rolls around. Hope everyone is having a manageable late winter!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image_1456775838890.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:09 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JPOKC View Post
    Howdy! Sorry to be MIA for a while. It's been a crazy few weeks. Through an unpredictable turn of events, I sold the 70 I was working on and acquired the model 60 in the pics. According to the 2 cylinder club serial numbers, it's a 1953 model. It needs a brake job and carb job to be 100%, but it starts easy and runs out pretty good. It has had a full fluid change and the oil pressure and gas gauge work, but are not original. I've never seen the temp gauge move, but I have probably have only run it about an hour since I got it last weekend. This is my first early number series tractor that runs and operates. Manuals in order. Any and all advice appreciated.

*I bought a 5' brush hog to go with it (also pictured) and am getting a carry all and plow in the coming weeks. I'm also hoping to leverage my way into some hay equiptment before that time of year rolls around. Hope everyone is having a manageable late winter!
    That looks like a great tractor! I cut my eyeteeth on that series with the only difference being it was LPG. Those were "workhorses" in their day assuming it was paired with the right equipment.

It was our go to tractor to cut (10' sickle bar mower) and rake the hay. We used it on a small square baler and at times when stacking hay on the rack, certain times it would about toss you off when the swing of the plunger and tractor were in (or out of) sync. It never bothered when hitched to the 4010/4020.

Congrats and enjoy. And I'll be the first to say it...post pictures as you crawl in/through her.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-25-2016 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks! I like it a lot. I figured I couldn't go wrong for the money, especially with it being a factory 3 point tractor. All of the hitch parts are intact and work like they should. I had no trouble hooking it to my brush hog. With this weather, I'll have grass to mow in no time. :-)

It is 12 volt negative ground with alternator. It has an aftermarket switch with a key. Looks like something by Massey or case or something, and you have to turn the lights on right after you start it to engage the alternator. Wondering what kind of joy awaits me in that rig...

My spirit lifts immediately at the sound of the engine and the feel of clutch snapping. Working with It makes me really happy. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I don't have a great garage facility or a ton of time or money for a restoration, so I'm going to work it as is as much as possible. We're going to need shoes before long. I'm open to suggestions on tire size. Versatility is key.
    BigJim55 and Daveb like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,257 Times in 2,563 Posts

Congrats!

I love the 60's.

grnspot110, BigJim55 and flyweight like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:36 AM
    Thanks
    Congrats!!!

I grew up on a 53-60 & 58-720D ES, but alas, the last time I saw that 60, it wasn't worth restoring!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    Congrats on the 60! They are very capable machines. Keep the fuel fresh and clean since the idle circuits in the carburetor are a PAIN to get to if you ever have an idle situation where it only fires on one piston.
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements