• 3 Post By Evergreen
  • 1 Post By flyweight

Thread: Model H Clutch assembly issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-08-2016 @ 12:06 AM
    Thanks

Model H Clutch assembly issues

My shop mate recently acquired a Model H, and is restoring it beautifully. When we went to reassemble the clutch mechanism, including the belt pulley and hand brake, we just can't seem to get it right.

We are uncertain which direction of the clutch lever is to ENGAGE, vs DISENGAGE.

We still have the clutch cover off, and can observe the inner workings. It appears that pulling the clutch lever all the way back serves to engage the clutch, but that movement also tightens up the brake on the belt pulley.

We have double-checked to insure the clutch yoke is properly engaged into the "throw out sleeve", and are now just scratching our heads trying to figure out what to do next.

Can anyone shed light on our problem?

Phil,
    Austin, TX

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Welcome from northeastern Pennsylvania.

The correct operation of the clutch is forward to engage and rearward to disengage. The purpose of the brake pad that rides on the belt pulley is to stop the rotation of the pulley.

I don't have a definite answer about why yours operates backwards. As I recall the link from the bottom of the clutch lever to the shaft that connects to the fork is a straight link with a turnbuckle for adjustment on one end. Is it possible that the shaft and lever that connects to the fork is 180 degrees off? Do you have a Service Manual to check with? Or you can go to JD Parts and find a picture or drawing of the linkage.

Someone with first hand knowledge will see your post and give better information. The H is a neat little tractor and quite unique up here.
    dieselshadow and flyweight like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Pulling the clutch lever toward the rear of the tractor disengages the clutch and applies the pulley brake pad.

You should feel a clunk when you push the lever forward. That is the clutch locking. The clunk should happen at the very end of the lever's throw.

A shop manual (a John Deere manual, not one of those crappy generic ones from tractor supply) will be a big help and they aren't that expensive.

Good luck!
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,720 Times in 1,184 Posts
    One possibility of the clutch lever operating in the opposite position, is if lever 53(red outline below) is installed 180° off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	140529

The video below may help on the clutch adjustment. It's a Model A, but the H is similar. Enjoy!

DRobinson likes this.
    Michael

'84 JD 750
    '08 JD Z445
    '71 JD 15 Chainsaw
    And a bunch of other stuff.

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements