Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Evergreen

Thread: Model M Touch-O-Matic

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks

Model M Touch-O-Matic

Does anyone know why the Touch-O-Matic would leak oil from fill vent? Replaced the suction line and filled until oil ran from test cock. Now every once in awhile oil leaks from the fill vent.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Mine used to do that too and I assumed it was drawing in air from one of the leaking fittings. I carefully took each joint appart and smeared each joint with pipe paste and I also poured in some power-steering stop leak since power steering fluid is basically 10 weight (aka iso32) oil. I'm not sure what actually did the trick but it hasn't done it since and the leaks are now very minimal.

But all good tractors (and trucks) are supposed to mark their territory at least a little bit.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Evergreen. I was wondering if this was the problem or in replacing the suction line we have not bled all air from the system.

Looks like we may need to seal the threads on the ferrule nut.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    My understanding is that the touch-o-matic is a self bleeding, closed loop system. If this is how it works, intermittent fluid coming out the vent means that air is somehow getting into the system and becoming pressurizing within the fluid.

Find where or how the air is getting in and eliminate it to solve your problem. Simpler to write than in practice, but that is essentially all there is to it.

There are a few check valves in the system which might be impeding the flow of fluid which would result in pump cavitation and lead to air bubbles as well. Incorrect fluid (in this case, too thick) can also have the same effect when cold. This system specifically calls for 10w motor oil which is roughly equivalent to iso32 spec hydraulic fluid and power steering fluid. Modern "standard" hydraulic fluid is of a heavier weight than iso32, but I don't have the specs handy for it... I just know it is too thick for a M's system.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I topped off with hightran which I understood was about 10w

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm thinking about what you said before about air getting in around a fitting. Could be air getting in at suction line while the M is not running.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements