Finally, the pistons came loose on the model 70. Since October of last year, the cylinders have been soaking in a cocktail of penetrating oils. Still could not budge the flyweel, so I knew that another method needed to be used to get things freed up. I did notice that the level of penetrating oil in the left cylinder had dropped, so I topped it off again.
After a whole lot of brain storming and praying, I backed the tractor up to a large tree and hooked up a large chain to the tree. Then I attached the cable of a come along to a smaller chain which was looped through the hole in the flywheel that was in the highest postion. Made sure to wrap the cable in a clockwise direction, which would move the pistons in the opposite direction of travel. The spark plugs were removed and the rocker arms/push rods were loosened. Also, I chocked the wheels to keep the tractor from rolling backwards when tension was applied to the chain and come along.
After a couple of days, the flywheel still wouldn't budge. So, I got the tallest pair of truck ramps I had and rolled the front wheels up on them. This elevated the front of the tractor and caused the liquid in the cylinders to bathe more of the top area of the pistons. Also, this made it possible to add more penetrant to the cylinders, but I was low on that and used diesel instead. Early this morning I added a little more tension to the come along and the flywheel began to turn.
After so much hard work, I had trouble believing what I was seeing. I then released the tension on the come along and routed the cable in a counterclockwise fashion and applied tension once again. After several minutes of this, the pistons were able to reach TDC. I then was able to rotate the flywheel by hand. Have definitely been praising God for helping me.
I decided to drain the oil and noticed there was about a quart of water in the bottom. So, I will be pulling the head to replace the gasket and give everything a thorough inspection.
Just so thankful to have that engine freed up.