GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben70b View Post
    anyone pull their old tractors?
    OK I'll ask, can you explain what this means?
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

4. Top | #3
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks

2 cylinder pullers

Thanks Tom. I looked at this briefly last night ... But didn't ask as I was headed to bed. To the OP, are you asking if we use them in tractor pull competitions?
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben70b View Post
    anyone pull their old tractors?
    Only on a 16' trailer behind my pickup.

I've seen how some guys drive their old tractors even in the antique class. It looks like a recipe for broken parts that aren't easily replaced. If you take it easy, I think it could be fun.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    01-01-2014 @ 03:47 PM
    Thanks
    ya, thats what i was getting at, at our county fair and a few other antique tractor shows around here they hold tractor pulling competitions. judging from yall's replies i'm guessing you all dont. i am thinking about pulling my 70 next summer in a stock class and was looking for pointers from anyone who has pulled their's.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    Within the last 20 years or so here I've seen some antique pulls advertised but never attended or participated in them. Most of the ones I've seen advertised are scheduled during the really hot time of year. I have to work out in the extreme heat enough as it is and wish they'd have them during cooler weather.

I'm still working on my 70 and others. Just can't bring myself to enter them in a pullin contest for fear of breaking things.

A friend of mine, who is a die hard red tractor fan, used to enter every contest he could. But he had highly modified high horsepower diesels. Told me recently that he wished he could get all that money back wasted on pullin tractors and buy land with it instead.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 03:24 PM
    Thanks
    Trust me-pulling will not damage the tractor unless a part was already on its way out or you modified something. The tractors were meant and designed to be used hard. Do you honestly think the farmer that used them never once worked the tractor hard? Working them is good for the engine and if a fresh rebuild-it helps set the piston rings. I took my restored 1924 "spoker" D JD and used it on a thresher all day to work it hard. A lot of people thought that was a sin to do.

Now-if you modify things-then things can break. We did have a couple JD G tractors that were heavily modified. Mine still runs-my brothers doesn't. It blew up twice. First time was because of the added compression damaging the conecting rod when he killed it. The sled chain was caught under the wheely bar so when he took off it bounced him up some-he let go of the throttle (dead mans throttle) and it died. After the pull he was washing it while it was idling and it blew. Then he rebuild it only bigger. That time the block blew out the front of the tractor. Next one he will have a JD diesel engine added to it someday. FYI-the tractors were built from peices. No good running tractors were harmed in the process of building. My brothers took close to 9 parts tractors to make it go. It also burned 3 gallons of racing fuel for 300 feet of pulling and pulled the sled at 25 MPH. The class we were in-you had to use the shell of the tractor so you had to use the OEM engine parts. How much you modified didn't mater. So OEM block, head, carb, cam, crank but modified a lot. The cylinder sleeves actually was outside the block on the sides of it. 7.5 inch pistons by 10 1/8 stroke.

Tips-have fun. You can get into a lot of different things but if you are in the stock class then you are limited to some of the things you can do. Hard old tires with lower air pressure helps traction. Getting it as light as you can helps as well.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    05-12-2013 @ 08:32 PM
    Thanks
    I agree. My dad and I still work a small farm of around 20 acres every year with a 730 Diesel and a 'G'. We alternate soybeans and corn every other year. It amazes me the people who think they are going to hurt their tractor by making it work a little. They were designed to be worked and with proper care and maintenance there is no reason at all that they still can't be worked today, and in the future. There is still a lot of parts available today, and the aftermarket parts world is larger now than it ever has been, so there is no reason not to use them at least a little bit, even if only for hay rides. We take good care of our stuff and there is a difference between working them and abusing them. We don't abuse them but they do get used. We enjoy all of our old iron machines, and that enjoyment for us comes largely from using them for what they were intended for..not looking at them sitting on some guys trailer at a farm show who is too afraid to even drive the thing around. lol Good luck pulling your 70, I bet that will be fun!

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-19-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Thanks
    Yea my cousin has a few he pulls...Here is one of them.

Here is another...

And one more...
    Last edited by low96hb; 07-11-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    dieselshadow and andy b. like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to low96hb For This Useful Post:

dieselshadow (07-11-2013)

13. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    Cool pics!

Welcome from middle TN!
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast