Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Possible Restore Project Model 70 Diesel

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-21-2013 @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks

Possible Restore Project Model 70 Diesel

I have always wanted to restore a tractor. Well a friend of mine has a JD model 70 diesel mid 50s vintage that doesn't run cus the head has been off for years. He thinks he has all the parts but not sure. Now for the good news, he said I can have it for free. Just haul it off. Now my question is, what am I in for on this restore? Will it be a money pit and working full time how many years will this take? I may sit for another year before I can start on it. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts

Possible Restore Project Model 70 Diesel

That would be a fun project for sure. Be forewarned, it will definitely cost more money to restore than it'll be worth when you're done. It's a sad fact. I know my 60 will cost me around 5k when it's all said and done. You can buy a really nice 60 older restore around here for about $3k. But I'm ok with that. It belonged to my grandfather and won't be for sale.

I'd love to have a 70D myself. Nice tractors. Did you have any pics?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Its FREE- Your alread ahead of the game. And yes, you could end up spending more than what its worth as mentioned earlier. But your in control. Spend as much or as little as you want. You can just get it a level where you have it running or take the restore all the way to factory or show level.

And remember it's a hobby of pleasure. If your looking to do it for a resale & to make a buck, that's ok too but it will be very difficult to do. If it were I with this opportunity, I would take it, Get it put together & get it running. Then decide how you want to go from there. You're one lucky guy. A FREE Deere- Antique status- It's a no brainer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    That's a nice friend you have.

It does sound like it may be a challenge. I own a 70 gas that was converted to propane long before I ever got it. It hasn't run in about 20 years and the motor was locked up from sitting too long in a barn without use. Finally got the pistons freed up and have the engine apart now. This project has cost more than I estimated, but I have no plans to sell it for profit. Just a fun project.

The main expense, unless you are lucky, might be the pony motor. Hopefully it is in good shape and won't need much. From what others have told me, that can be a real scary expense.

If you could share some pics, that would be great.

Hope it works out for you and can get it all going again.

Did your friend happen to mention if it was torn down to repair or was this a restoration project?

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
    I have always wanted to restore a tractor. Well a friend of mine has a JD model 70 diesel mid 50s vintage that doesn't run cus the head has been off for years.
    There are two kinds of "head off". The good kind is the one sitting in a covered shed or garage with the head off. The bad kind is the one sitting outside under a pine tree with the head off. The bad kind can get expensive real fast, mainly because if the head is off laying around somewhere and the tractor is just sitting outside rusting, I tend to find a lot of other stuff is off and missing.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

8. Top | #6
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    This could still be a very good candidate for restoration. There was two different versions of the 70D. One had the pony motor, the other was a factory electric start. If the tractor isn't in too bad of shape, as in if it has a pony motor and it turns over and has compression, than you could probably get it running with a fairly reasonable amount of time and money. But as mentioned before, the pony motor can be the most expensive part to get running again. If it were a pony motor version, I might look into an electric start conversion. The asking price for the tractor is extremely reasonable, it's the cost of restoring it that's up in the air. Can you give us more details on the tractor?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-03-2017 @ 10:25 AM
    Eastern New York State-Mohawk Valley Region
    Thanks
    The 2 cylinder 70 D did not have an electric start factory option. The first electric start option was available on the 720 D during model year 1958.. black dash models, beginning with serial 7222600. In recent years..a number of kits have been available to convert the pony start to 12 volt electric start for all the 70, 720 & 730 Ds. The 70 & model year 1957 720s essentially had the same/similar engines. The Model year 1958 720 and 730 had a newer version that couldn't run backwards.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Longmeadow For This Useful Post:

MFreund1(04-13-2013)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Longmeadow View Post
    The 2 cylinder 70 D did not have an electric start factory option. The first electric start option was available on the 720 D during model year 1958.. black dash models, beginning with serial 7222600. In recent years..a number of kits have been available to convert the pony start to 12 volt electric start for all the 70, 720 & 730 Ds. The 70 & model year 1957 720s essentially had the same/similar engines. The Model year 1958 720 and 730 had a newer version that couldn't run backwards.
    That is FANTASTIC information to know. Thanks!!
    Matt

NRA Life Member

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks
    Take some pictures of it! I'd take it, heh

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    G-mann, I have several two cylinder diesels and two 70s, 1 row crop and 1 standard. They are great functional tractors. The best piece of advice I can give you is go to deeres website and buy both the service manual and operators manual. It will be the best 80 ish bucks you will spend and save you a lot of headaches. You can also download the parts manual for free on deeres website. The second is take your time. These diesels with the pony motors are different animals. Be armed with patience and latex gloves....you'll be cleaning diesel oil outta your fingernails for months haha best of luck
    dieselshadow and farmgirl19 like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast