Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Evergreen

Thread: 47 B water getting in engine oil

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-06-2019 @ 12:42 AM
    Thanks

47 B water getting in engine oil

Hi all I'm pretty new to the forum!!! I've got a 47 B that has water getting into the engine oil. My question is could the water get in from the governor housing if the gasket is bad?

I don't believe it's the head gasket because I'm not losing any antifreeze.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKroadrunner View Post
    Hi all I'm pretty new to the forum!!! I've got a 47 B that has water getting into the engine oil. My question is could the water get in from the governor housing if the gasket is bad?

I don't believe it's the head gasket because I'm not losing any antifreeze.
    If I recall, deteriorated push rod sleeves can allow water in the oil also.
    Last edited by DRobinson; 08-20-2016 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Added description
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    My Dad has a 47 A with the same issue. We rebuilt the engine several years ago and was blaming the lead washers in the head bolts but that obviously wasnt it.
    2016 3039R 165FEL / Woods RM660 / Fimco 40gal 3pt / Frontier 1060 Aerator / Frontier subsoiler / 3 pt spreader / HLA pallet forks / 6ft blade / 6ft Lucknow 3pt snowblower / $50 boom pole that never gets used anymore

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Please clarify; you are getting water in the motor, but not losing antifreeze? Are you are saying is that the level of whatever is in your radiator is not dropping, but water from outside the tractor is getting into the engine? Or are you saying that whatever is getting in your engine is coming from the cooling system?

JimR likes this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    05-06-2019 @ 12:42 AM
    Thanks
    I believe water is getting inside the engine from outside. My cooling system level has remained the same. I was thinking it could be coming from the governor housing gasket.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Process of elimination is going to be the best way to solve your problem short of a rebuild for the sake of a rebuild. Throwing time and money randomly will eventually fix it, but it isn't very efficient.

I would begin by getting the tractor under some sort of shelter, or at least tarping it up nice and tight. If you still have water problems, it must be coming from the cooling system. You'd be surprised how tiny a head gasket leak can actually be. On my M it was a slight deformity no bigger around than my dog's hair. In a 3 gallon, unpressurized cooling system I never noticed an abnormal drop in the radiator level.

If getting the tractor out of the elements fixes the issue there are two ways to continue; always keep the tractor indoors and don't worry about it, or intentionally leave it out with one possible trouble spot at a time under wraps. Through the process of elimination, you will narrow down the possible leaky spot(s).

Good luck!
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Thanks
    If tractor is stored outside water can enter engine through air cleaner stack &/or muffler if left uncovered.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements