Best way to drain both tanks,1947 "D".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I would start by disconnecting the fuel line from the sediment bowl to the carburetor at the carb. Open the sediment bowl valve and drain the tanks into an appropriate container via the fuel line you just disconnected. This process may take a while if there is a lot in there. This should drain at least 95% of the fuel in the tank allowing you to either remove the tank and dump the rest out of the filler, or just let it evaporate by leaving the tank in the sun with the cap off for a while.

Good luck!
    89420 likes this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Evergreen For This Useful Post:

chiefdumpling (08-27-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    you can also get a electric low pressure pump 12v from autozone ect for cheap. ( less then 20$) and hook it up to the lines or maybe easier to just run some fuel line into the fill hole and use the electric pump to pump in out that way. or a cheap siphon pump down the filler.
    1935 jd model D
    65 110 rf
    77 jd 80 cart
    83 420 rear pto, 3 point hitch
    88 332 46"deck s
    89 420 60" deck
    89 318
    jd #8 chainsaw (remington)
    2)jd 35ev chainsaws (echo)
    jd 50v chainsaw (echo
    jd 60v chainsaw (echo)
    jd 70v chainsaw (echo) sold
    jd 80ev chainsaw (echo)
    jd cs40 chainsaw (efco 940)
    husqvarna 240 chainsaw
    husqvarna 372xp chainsaw
    husqvarna 455 chainsaw
    2)dolmar 117 chainsaws
    dolmar 100 chainsaw

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
    I would start by disconnecting the fuel line from the sediment bowl to the carburetor at the carb. Open the sediment bowl valve and drain the tanks into an appropriate container via the fuel line you just disconnected. This process may take a while if there is a lot in there. This should drain at least 95% of the fuel in the tank allowing you to either remove the tank and dump the rest out of the filler, or just let it evaporate by leaving the tank in the sun with the cap off for a while.

Good luck!
    Don't let the EPA know about that second method. lol
    They do everything in their power to keep that kind of thing from happening. LOL

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Don't let the EPA know about that second method. lol
    They do everything in their power to keep that kind of thing from happening. LOL
    If the EPA came to my house, a little gasoline vapor would be the least of their concerns! For starters, all of my equipment was built prior to emissions controls... most of the older stuff leaks too. Secondly, there is a (gasp) Volkswagen TDI (wifes car) in the garage. Thirdly, (thanks to a thread I found here on GTT) all of my gas cans have been converted to old-style tube spouts with vent caps instead of the EPA mandated gurgling valves.

I could continue this list, but it would only incriminate me further.

I enjoy clean air as much as anyone else does, but I also enjoy other things... like logic and reason. But that's another topic for another time.
    flyweight, Marlin and 89420 like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements