Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By andy b.

Thread: 1949 d

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-03-2013 @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks

1949 d

I have a 1949 model D i picked up from Canada a while back. It runs and drives and is a helluva head turner especially from where I am located, but there is an issue about it. The previous owner has what i believed "rewired" the entire tractor to be a Positive ground tractor and to start it (electric start obviously) i have to take the negative cable and bash it onto the negative terminal. What are the procedures necessary to bring all that back to original so I don't have to keep running out to get a new battery every other summer? All help would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    First,

Ds are very cool tractors! Congrats!

If it were me, I'd strip the entire wiring harness off and start from new. This will ensure no issues with improper or bad wiring. Make sure you have a Tech/service manual. They're cheap and easy to acquire. The wiring on these tractor is very simple, essentially just charging, starting, and lighting circuits. You can even get a complete wiring harness or at least parts of one so you don't have to fabricate everything.

I have already stripped the entire wiring harness of my current model 60 project to do the very same thing.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    rm,

So, how close to original would you like this wiring harness to be? The reason I ask is short of finding a time machine and traveling back to 1950 and buying a new wiring harness from Deere, the Brillman company is going to be the best wiring harness you will find for antique tractors. I didn't even attempt to redo the harness on my 1954 40 Utility when I restored it, I just contacted Mr. Brillman and paid the $100+ for the harness from him. All of his harnesses use original style wiring and come with all wires labeled and will include the entire harness. The cool thing is, he is originally from eastern PA, so he hits a lot of the shows around here and I had a chance to speak with him several times.

Brillman Home page

I have no association with him other than being a VERY satisfied customer.
    dieselshadow likes this.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

5. The Following User Says Thank You to andy b. For This Useful Post:

dieselshadow(05-02-2013)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    05-03-2013 @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks
    Alright thanks! There is also an issue with what i believe might be a bearing inside the crank case? I need to physically bash the flywheel in for the starter teeth to make contact with the flywheel and can also move the flywheel in and out about 1/2" each way. Any ideas what that might be? possibly a bad bearing? I dont know but it is a hassle because i need to repeat the process every time i shut it off now.

8. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmolidor View Post
    Alright thanks! There is also an issue with what i believe might be a bearing inside the crank case? I need to physically bash the flywheel in for the starter teeth to make contact with the flywheel and can also move the flywheel in and out about 1/2" each way. Any ideas what that might be? possibly a bad bearing? I dont know but it is a hassle because i need to repeat the process every time i shut it off now.
    That's definitely an issue that can cause serious engine damage if you don't fix it soon enough. There is a thrust bearing (I think on the flywheel side) that may be totally gone. You really should inspect this further before running it more risking big damage IMHO. This side-ways play can/will throw ignition and cam timing off, could be stressing the rods, pistons, and cylinders from too much side play. Too much side play could also cause the oil pump drive gear to disengage from the crank gear.

Sent using Tapatalk
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements