Yet ANOTHER touch-o-matic question!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Yet ANOTHER touch-o-matic question!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Yet ANOTHER touch-o-matic question!

I seem to fight the same issue with this darn thing every year: Working on a really hot summer day causes the gasket between the TOM body and the rockshaft to blow out. Because this is also the gasket for the hydraulic fluid reservoir, it makes a terrible mess. When it happened this year, I parked the tractor and moved on to other projects which in hind sight was a mistake because the garden isn't tilled, the property I'm caretaker of isn't mowed, it is December in Michigan and I can't plow snow without it.

Maybe this will illustrate the design flaw I'm fighting:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	275369

I think the root of the problem is that there are no bolts across the bottom of the TOM/rockshaft because this is where it blows out every time. Due to the tight fit between the rear axle and belt drive pully, there is no way another fastener can be added. I've been fixing it with OEM gaskets and running OEM specified 10w hydraulic fluid; same as iso 32 spec light hydraulic fluid.

This time I'm determined to fix it once and for all. Clearly fixing it the right way isn't working so it's time to try something else. Before I reveal my plan and taint any ideas yous guys might have, I'd like to hear some of your options.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,257 Times in 2,563 Posts
    I would stone the mating surfaces to make sure they are as flat as possible. Are you making a gasket? The gasket in this scenario needs to be pretty thin. A thicker one will allow pressure to blow it out. The thinner one has less surface are to push against.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The OEM gasket is a very thin paper gasket, but it shouldn't be under much pressure as all it is sealing is the reservoir. I hadn't considered the two surfaces to be out of spec with each other since they are both machined castings... but that might make sense.
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,257 Times in 2,563 Posts
    I would also use a proper gasket sealant such as this Permatex Aviation Sealant. It's my go-to for many gaskets that I want to insure don't leak. Be aware though, this stuff is tough. If you use it (lightly) on both side of your gasket, expect the gasket to be very hard to remove from both surfaces upon disassembly. In some cases I only use it on the one surface that will be easier to clean later.

I don't always use Permatex Aviation Sealant, but when I do, I know I'll have a leak-free gasket.

You can get this at NAPA or Amazon.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I think I will go that route. It sounds like it might work better than what I was planning.

Using a OEM gasket as a template, I cut a pair of copies out of a really heavy manila file folder. In between them I planned on running a piece of .035 welding wire pressed into a thin bead of black rtv. I was then going to spray the outside of the sandwich with copperkote.
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Thanks
    I am with dieselshadow on this one. Lay a straight edge on the mating surface to see how flat they are.
    pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,580 Times in 991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Permatex Aviation Sealant. It's my go-to for many gaskets that I want to insure don't leak. Be aware though, this stuff is tough. If you use it (lightly) on both side of your gasket, expect the gasket to be very hard to remove from both surfaces upon disassembly. In some cases I only use it on the one surface that will be easier to clean later.

I don't always use Permatex Aviation Sealant, but when I do, I know I'll have a leak-free gasket.

You can get this at NAPA or Amazon.
    I agree with Dieselshadow's recommendation about making sure the mating surfaces are flat and also using a good sealant.

I might suggest you consider using a piece of thin aluminum flashing as a replacement for the paper gasket. The aluminum sheeting should seal adequately when used along with a good sealant. It would be a bit of work to fabricate the seal but using some gasket punches should do the trick.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I found some of that aviation grade permatex and I'll be putting it back together tomorrow after work... Here's to hoping!

Now, about the fluid itself; I'm using the stuff specified in the JD manual (Straight 10w, iso32 hydraulic fluid). Would going to a different viscosity fluid help this problem? I'm quite sure that the reservoir itself is not under pressure. Because the seal always blows out after heavy use on a hot day, I think temperature has more to do with the seal rupturing than brute force. It could also be a coincidence because it happens at the same time each year.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Thanks
    I bet if you take a piece of sand paper laid it on a small sheet of glass, then rub the face of the housing on the sand paper you will find some imperfections in the mating surface. I use glass as it is usually flat and does not bow much. I kept one from a shelf from a refrigerator we used to have just for this purpose. Sanding objects flat, carburators get uneven for many reasons among other items. Then use a thin gasket . Must be thin as hydralics will push thick gasket material out and blow. That's my story, and I am sticking to it.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 06:00 PM
    Thanks
    Have you ever tried to re-torque the cover bolts once the unit gets up to operating temp?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Brian

2720 JD MCUT
    200CX Loader
    62D On Ramp Mid-Mount Mower
    61 Inch Bucket
    Grooved R4's
    Tiller King Kutter Professional Green 60-Inch TG-G-60-JP
    Rear Blade Woods 72-Inch
    Middle Buster King Kutter MB-YX

GT245 Garden Tractor

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gbnpp05 For This Useful Post: