• 1 Post By Evergreen
  • 1 Post By Maddog

Thread: 1941 b

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 01:12 PM
    Thanks

1941 b

when I was young a friend of my grandfathers had a John Deere B he would come visit and drive his tractor he would leave it idling I just loved the sound so after over 40 years I have decided to look for one I find one a gentleman has, it is not restored, metal is straight, it runs, has solid center steel rear wheels (which in my research this is the first steel rear wheel with solid center on a "B" that I have seen?) and rubber front wheels my question is what is a fair price thanks
    44JohnDeereBR and Maddog like this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JComer For This Useful Post:

44JohnDeereBR (12-23-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JComer View Post
    when I was young a friend of my grandfathers had a John Deere B he would come visit and drive his tractor he would leave it idling I just loved the sound so after over 40 years I have decided to look for one I find one a gentleman has, it is not restored, metal is straight, it runs, has solid center steel rear wheels (which in my research this is the first steel rear wheel with solid center on a "B" that I have seen?) and rubber front wheels my question is what is a fair price thanks
    Fair Price? Twenty years ago more or less, probably around $1,000-to a high of $1,500. But it would also depend on location & what's available. I would say the price is whatever you are willing to pay for it. If it's in good running condition I would buy it & for now keep it as is. Later on you can always restore to your needs or likes. Based on your description & your feelings, if I were you I would be willing to go to $3,500. But remember- forget fair value stuff. It comes down to what YOU value it at. Kind of like buying a broken down 1960's muscle car. Some will pay any amount in any condition if the year & model is right for them. Others would look at it & not offer you a dime for it. It's up to you. I would go for it, & keep it in its current condition. Wish I had one here in the area that I could buy. Good luck, let us know what you do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maddog For This Useful Post:

6. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Dad bought a 1940 styled B in December 1969 for NINTY Dollars! Still had the factory installed Firestone 9-38 tires on the stamped steel disk center rear wheels. No lights, starter, or hydraulics of any kind. Just what he was looking for. Was a miserable tractor to use for any purpose. Had the 4-speed twin stick transmission. High gear was almost 5 mph. Reverse was 4-7/8 mph! Too slow going forward, WAY too fast in reverse!

I repainted it July of '72, and it brought $120 or $125 on Dad's auction December of '72. Adjusted for inflation I'd start at a $500 offer and walk away from it at $800. A six speed tractor is worth more than a 4-speed, as is a tractor with elec. Starter & lights and hydraulics. Condition of the rear tires is a big driver in the price/cost.
    44JohnDeereBR, Levi and ky_shawn like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POWERSTROKE For This Useful Post:

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
    Dad bought a 1940 styled B in December 1969 for NINTY Dollars! Still had the factory installed Firestone 9-38 tires on the stamped steel disk center rear wheels. No lights, starter, or hydraulics of any kind. Just what he was looking for. Was a miserable tractor to use for any purpose. Had the 4-speed twin stick transmission. High gear was almost 5 mph. Reverse was 4-7/8 mph! Too slow going forward, WAY too fast in reverse!

I repainted it July of '72, and it brought $120 or $125 on Dad's auction December of '72. Adjusted for inflation I'd start at a $500 offer and walk away from it at $800. A six speed tractor is worth more than a 4-speed, as is a tractor with elec. Starter & lights and hydraulics. Condition of the rear tires is a big driver in the price/cost.
    It has steel rear wheels with solid center

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JComer For This Useful Post:

11. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    It has steel rear wheels with solid center
    JComer- I've already given you my opinion on price. I'm curious here. You said it was running & sounds like in good shape. So why are you so fixated on the price. Are you worried about over paying or something. What is your end objective in getting this tractor. What are you willing to pay. Just do what's in your gut. Save what sounds like a really nice piece of history before it goes to the junk yard or is parted out. I wish I was closer to it, so I could buy it. The gosh darn steel wheels are probably worth more than the asking price you will pay.
    Last edited by Maddog; 12-22-2016 at 01:07 PM.
    44JohnDeereBR, Levi and ky_shawn like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maddog For This Useful Post:

13. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    JComer- I've already given you my opinion on price. I'm curious here. You said it was running & sounds like in good shape. So why are you so fixated on the price. Are you worried about over paying or something. What is your end objective in getting this tractor. What are you willing to pay. Just do what's in your gut. Save what sounds like a really nice piece of history before it goes to the junk yard or is parted out. I wish I was closer to it, so I could buy it. The gosh darn steel wheels are probably worth more than the asking price you will pay.

was only clarifying that it had steel wheel your first response was if it had good rear rubber thanks
    Levi likes this.

14. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    was only clarifying that it had steel wheel your first response was if it had good rear rubber thanks
    I think you may have me confused with someone else. My first response had nothing to do with rubber. Please go back and follow the thread from your original posting. I think you have an interesting situation & opportunity to buy a really good tractor.

15. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    My best advice would be to hop on your local craigslist and see how much people in your area are asking for similar tractors. Keep in mind that not all model B's are equal in capability (electric start, hydraulics, etc) and thus not equivalent in price. Good tires and mounted implements such as cultivators will also push up a machine's price. As funny as it sounds, location will also effect a tractor's price.

The short answer is that it is hard to pin down an exact dollar value on something which has only a little practical purpose beyond nostalgia. You can't do much more than hobby farm or parades with old equipment; trust me because I have tried. However, if that is what you are buying it for then I doubt it will disappoint. Nothing beats the sound of an old two-cylinder snorting as it hauls a plow through hard ground.
    Levi likes this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Evergreen For This Useful Post:

17. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Thanks
    I doubt in today's market a JD model B on rear steel wheels will bring much over $2500 if that much.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

19. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
    My best advice would be to hop on your local craigslist and see how much people in your area are asking for similar tractors. Keep in mind that not all model B's are equal in capability (electric start, hydraulics, etc) and thus not equivalent in price. Good tires and mounted implements such as cultivators will also push up a machine's price. As funny as it sounds, location will also effect a tractor's price.

The short answer is that it is hard to pin down an exact dollar value on something which has only a little practical purpose beyond nostalgia. You can't do much more than hobby farm or parades with old equipment; trust me because I have tried. However, if that is what you are buying it for then I doubt it will disappoint. Nothing beats the sound of an old two-cylinder snorting as it hauls a plow through hard ground.
    In 1941, I don't think these tractors were being sold to" Hobby Farm" with. So they are in my opinion a fully functioning farm tractor designed for 1941 operation. Having said that, I would agree with you that in farm use today, they would not be too much more than a Hobby Farm tractor due to the current technology of modern tractors & implements. You just have to remind yourself that these tractors were state of the art when first offered up for sale. You might have a fully functional model T ford in your garage, but I don't think you would want to sit in it for a 3,000 mile vacation adventure either.
    RandyM likes this.

20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements