Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 1950 MC surging

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-16-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks

1950 MC surging

Hi all,

Glad I found you, we have a few green tractors in the yard, from a 1950 MC to a 1985 318, and a much newer 425. Anyway this 1950 MC will start very quickly but within probably less than 5 seconds it starts surging. Then only way it will run smoothly is if the choke is 1/2-3/4 closed.

We had to pull the head but got that all back together, new ignition switch, points condenser and coil. The carb was rebuilt at the dealer. I've tried adjusting the governing and carburetor but none of these seem to change anything on it.

I'm going to check for an intake leak tomorrow.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 989 Posts
    It sounds like the carburetor is too lean or you may have a vacuum leak. You can use a propane torch modified with a length of flexible hose to dispense gas as you probe around the carb base and intake to find a vacuum leak.

Remove the mixer nozzle from the propane torch and slip a 24" - 30" length of hose over the tube. Make sure to hold the tank upright while using the end of the hose as it dispenses propane gas to probe for leaks. Open the valve about 1/2 turn and that should do it. The engine RPM should change if the propane gas is introduced into the leak.

If you don't find a vacuum leak your carb may be set too lean or you may have a blockage. Turn the idle screw in and lightly seat it. Back it out 2 - 2 1/2 turns and you should be in the ball park.
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 02-09-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

ctrider (02-09-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with Super. Usually when I see surging it is a restriction in the idle fuel circuit. When rebuilding carbs very particular care must be taken to ensure all tiny passages are clean and flowing. Engine drops below idle speed and the governor opens the throttle and you get flow from the main jet to surge but when rpm's get over your throttle position setting the governor releases and you are back on your starving idle circuit. Rinse and repeat... Older engines have idle mixture screws, sometimes under plugs. Many newer carbs rely on a fixed orifice. If this orifice is checked and not clogged then it can be reamed a touch larger using a torch tip file. Sometimes as these newer orifice type engines get to need a little more fuel to idle correctly after they wear for a few years. Just my experience, others who know more are sure to post up with more or better advice. Good luck.
    DRobinson, 56FordGuy and ctrider like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff B For This Useful Post:

ctrider (02-09-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Wow, thanks so much for the quick responses. I'm planning on starting with the vacuum leak to rule that out. I'm suspicious of the carb because neither of the 2 adjustments seem to do anything to change how it runs, but it was just rebuilt at the dealer, so that's what had me thinking maybe an intake gasket or some other leak.

If we don't get hit too hard with this Noreaster, I'll work on it today and let you guys know what I found. Thanks again!

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrider View Post
    Wow, thanks so much for the quick responses. I'm planning on starting with the vacuum leak to rule that out. I'm suspicious of the carb because neither of the 2 adjustments seem to do anything to change how it runs, but it was just rebuilt at the dealer, so that's what had me thinking maybe an intake gasket or some other leak.

If we don't get hit too hard with this Noreaster, I'll work on it today and let you guys know what I found. Thanks again!
    If you have a significant vacuum leak a carb idle mixture adjustment won't make much of an improvement. Check for leaks first. If there are none it wouldn't be the first time a carb rebuild failed due to residual debris clogging internal passages.
    DRobinson, Drifterbike and Jeff B like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yeah that's what I thought too. There really isn't much for an intake gasket but we checked it with propane anyway and decided to pull the carb and take it back to the dealer to see if there was any blockage in the passages.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well I thought I'd update this. We got everything back together and it still surges. So we checked valve clearance again, checked for intake leaks with propane, checked the governor again and determined it had to be the carburation. So I took the carb off and disassembled it and found that they didn't take the discharge nozzle out and one of the passages is clogged for the idle circuit. We tried everything we could think of, but unfortunately the technician damaged the brass slot in it so the only way to get it out will be to drill it and use an easy out. I'm not real happy with the dealer. They never said anything about it, put some of the gaskets back in it and charged my father $450 for rebuilding it. He complained and reminded them that he told them he could get a new carb for $350 before they started. They knocked off $100. To me they should have called and said they couldn't get it apart instead of putting it back together and not saying anything.

So it looks like we'll get in touch with Yesterday tractor tomorrow and get a new carb coming. I'll post up when we got it straightened out.
    RandyM and DRobinson like this.

12. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    That sucks. Sorry to hear that.....
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    That's terrible. They had some nerve charging you that much for basically damaging your existing carb. Thank you for confirming the diagnosis on here, if anything it may help others when they have similar characteristics happening.
    BigJim55 and ctrider like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I plan to take the carb back to the dealer and show them. I'll let everyone know when we get it back in running order too. Its a Marvel Schebler TSX245 carb, single barrel, updraft type.
    BigJim55 and Evergreen like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast