• 1 Post By MDrew
  • 1 Post By Superglidesport

Thread: JD B wont fire..Need Mag info

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-30-2017 @ 09:55 AM
    Thanks

JD B wont fire..Need Mag info

I was trying to start my ol 1944 JD B.and seen its not firing..I pulled a spark plug,and nothing...I dont know anything about the Mag.except they BITE really hard...lol I know there is some points in it. so any ideal.what I should look for..Tractor has been in shed for the last time it was ran is 3 years ago..and its not a open shed.it has doors to keep shut up.thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:33 PM
    Thanks
    The best money you will ever spend on that tractor would be for a service manual. A very good one is offered at www.davenporttractors.com. Very reasonably priced. I believe Deere still offers a manual, too.

It is quite likely the points have a little corrosion just from sitting. Touching them up with a points file or fine emery paper won't be difficult to do to see if spark returns. Sometimes the condenser just goes dead. For the long term, a new set of points and condenser is a good investment. Point gap is important. "B" tractors may have a model "C" or model "X" magneto. You need to determine which mag is on it before buying parts. Both are covered in the service manual.

Oh yeah, does the mag have a "grounding" switch (after market) to shut off the tractor?

tommyhawk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-30-2017 @ 09:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyhawk View Post
    The best money you will ever spend on that tractor would be for a service manual. A very good one is offered at www.davenporttractors.com. Very reasonably priced. I believe Deere still offers a manual, too.

It is quite likely the points have a little corrosion just from sitting. Touching them up with a points file or fine emery paper won't be difficult to do to see if spark returns. Sometimes the condenser just goes dead. For the long term, a new set of points and condenser is a good investment. Point gap is important. "B" tractors may have a model "C" or model "X" magneto. You need to determine which mag is on it before buying parts. Both are covered in the service manual.

Oh yeah, does the mag have a "grounding" switch (after market) to shut off the tractor?

tommyhawk

I have an original JD Service Manual..And I tranfered it to CD and a file..Ill check out the Points and give that a try,,If it dont work.Ill get new parts..No it doesnt have kill switch on Mag. As a kid..I can remember,My uncle having a Mag off one of old G`s in a vise,working on it.and he asked me to hold a wire for him.while he took pliers and turn it over !!! Yes I remember the Snap noise,and POW!! Im still scared of them..lol
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 01:10 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishtech43 View Post
    I have an original JD Service Manual..And I tranfered it to CD and a file..Ill check out the Points and give that a try,,If it dont work.Ill get new parts..No it doesnt have kill switch on Mag. As a kid..I can remember,My uncle having a Mag off one of old G`s in a vise,working on it.and he asked me to hold a wire for him.while he took pliers and turn it over !!! Yes I remember the Snap noise,and POW!! Im still scared of them..lol
    I have to say that getting my mag overhauled was one of the best things I did. I used Roberts Magnetos.

Russ
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Thanks
    I just had a mag rebuilt for 40 bucks, spend the money.
    DRobinson likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,580 Times in 991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishtech43 View Post
    I was trying to start my ol 1944 JD B.and seen its not firing..I pulled a spark plug,and nothing...I dont know anything about the Mag.except they BITE really hard...lol I know there is some points in it. so any ideal.what I should look for..Tractor has been in shed for the last time it was ran is 3 years ago..and its not a open shed.it has doors to keep shut up.thanks
    Magnetos need service just like a distributor or carburetor that's been out of service for a while. Might be something minor like points need cleaning or a bad condenser. Could also be your magnets are weak and need to be re-magnetized.

Magnetos are fairly complex and have many small parts. A thorough mag rebuilt will usually run ~ $150-200. A clean and refresh (points, condenser & re-magnetize) could be less.

When my buddy drags an old IH tractor home I've had to purchase magneto parts here: https://robertscarbrepair.com/services.asp
    DRobinson likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    12-21-2018 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    If it ran when put away, it's probably something extremely simple. DON"T file the points, make sure they're closed & drag a dollar bill through them, several times if it makes you feel warm & fuzzy. that should get you sparking again. Then, take the magneto off, take it to the workbench where you can see what you're doing & adjust the points like your manual says.
    2014 5045E, H240 Loader, Speeco Cat. 2 Quick Hitch, Woods SB84C Snow blower, King Kutter 72" Back Blade converted to Cat. 2, Unknown Antique 72" Disc Converted to Cat. 2.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements