Rubber Pad for front mounting block
    Protective caps
    Zip Ties

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_Contents.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	453306

All of the connectors were installed except the rear connectors where the 90's connected to the lines. These were shipped loose so that I could get the lines "clocked" before tightening them.

The only physical difference I know of between the factory kit and Kenny's kit is the front lines. The factory kit has steel front lines and Kenny's are rubber. The factory kit has the connectors on the end of the steel lines. Kenny has a nice mounting block to hold the connectors.

The biggest difference between Kenny's kit and JD's is cost. Since I don't know what Kenny is going to price this kit at I can't quote exact figures. I was a crash test dummy for Kenny so I might have gotten a little break in my price.
    What I do know is my dealer priced the third function at $569 when I was pricing out my tractor. Then I come to find out the third function is only available on the H165 loader which added another $1,000 to the bottom line. The H160 loader that was already on the tractor more than met my needs. With the dealer wanting to sell what he had in stock I was able to leverage a little better price since he couldn't add the third function to the H160. In the end, to get the factory third function, I would have paid about $2,000 for it.

I started with the rear line set install.
    I didn't have to remove anything from the tractor. There is ample space to feed the lines under the seat platform.
    I did move the existing electrical mounting tab. I replaced the existing wire loom clamp with one I had on hand and "moved" the connection to the right side of the mounting bolt.

Name:	2_Rear Starting Point.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	453314

I then used a second clamp to hold the hoses and attached both clamps with the existing bolt.
    This could have just been zip tied as well, but I had the clamps so I used them.

Name:	3a_Rear New Clamps.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	453322

Name:	3b_Rear New Clamps.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	453338

This is how I setup the rear lines. I made this loop so that when the rockshaft was raised it would clear the lines

Name:	4a_Rear Hose Routing.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	453346

Name:	4b_Rear Hose Routing.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	453362

Next I routed the new lines following the existing steel lines for the SCV underneath the operators platform. I started by poking the connector end out between the existing SCV connector bracket and the loader frame. Then I mess around with routing until I was happy with where I wanted it. A couple loose zip ties will keep everything up in place while you pick your route. Then you can start snugging everything up working your way from the back of the floorboard to the front. There is plenty enough line length to allow you the route you like.

Name:	5a_Rear Underfloor.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	453370

Name:	5b_Rear Underfloor.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	453378

The rear lines end at the midpoint connection. I fished them in between the SCV connection bracket and the loader mount and kept them between a couple of the existing steel lines. One line is between the yellow and black ports, the other between the black and blue ports.

Name:	6_Rear Lines at Mid Connection.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	453386

I removed the loader to install the front lines.

With the loader off I removed the clamp that holds the line set to the side of the loader mast and then removed the zip tie that holds the line set to the clamp. There is also a zip tie holding the line set to the loader mast where the rubber lines connect to the steel lines and I removed that zip tie as well. The last zip tie is at the SCV connection point on the sheathing. All of these zip ties can be removed without cutting them. You just need a small flat blade screwdriver to release the locking tab in the zip tie. When you have the new lines installed, these zip ties can be re-used.

Name:	7_Front Lines Rough In.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	453394

I started by loosely attaching the front mounting block on the cross tube of the loader. Leave the mounting block loose so that you can slide it left or right to adjust the line length as you need to.
    Then I fed the new lines up the loader mast following the existing steel lines. A couple loose zip ties helps to hold things while you find the route you like. Leave the zip ties loose so that you can still move the lines.

When I got to where the steel lines connect to the rubber hoses, I straightened out the existing line set that is in the protective sheathing and then one line at a time I fed the new front lines through the sheathing.

At this point you want to adjust the front mounting block so that the mid connection point couplers match the length of the existing couplers.

With the connectors at the length I wanted them I started attaching the new lines to the existing steel lines starting from where the rubber lines connect to the steel lines and working my way toward the front mounting block.

Name:	8_Front Lines.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	453402

Once I had the new lines secured to the existing steel lines on the loader mast I was able to establish where the front block was going to end up. Before zip tying the last length of the new lines, I removed the front mounting block and inserted the rubber pad between the middle two steel lines and the cross tube. I used a couple wooden shims to help lift the lines while I worked the rubber pad under the lines.

With the rubber pad in place, I installed the front connector block and snugged up the hose clamp. There is another rubber pad on the bottom of the connector block and the middle two steel lines are sandwiched between the rubber pads. You only need to snug up the hose clamp enough to hold the mounting block in place. The hose clamp has a protective rubber sheath on it so there is no worries about scratching your new green paint on the cross tube.

Name:	9_Front Connection.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	453410

The front mounting block ended up being about 12" - 14" inches from the side of the loader. It is easy to reach to connect and disconnect the lines and my Artillian grapple had plenty of line length to reach the connection point.

Name:	10a_Front Finished.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	453418

Now all that is left is to re-install the factory zip ties that you removed earlier.

Re-attach the loader and you are ready to grapple! (or whatever you were going to use the third function for)

Name:	10b_Front Finished.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	5.13 MB 
ID:	453426

In the beginning I marked one line with a green zip tie so that I could keep track of which line was connected to which rear port. In the end I found out that wasn't necessary. Once I had everything setup I connected the grapple and pushed the upper button on the loader stick. The grapple didn't open. I swapped the connections at the front mounting block and like magic, when the top button was depressed the grapple opened. With the lines connected the way I wanted them to function, I installed the color coded caps.

I also had Kenny install a restrictor in the front line set. He sent me a couple videos before he shipped the parts. One without the restrictor and one with the restrictor. Even with 1/4" lines there is plenty of flow to the front. Without the restrictor the grapple opened and closed pretty quickly so I opted for the restrictor. If you have more than one front implement using the third function and you want to customize the flow to each implement you could install the restrictor in the line on each implement.

Name:	11_Front & Rear Connected.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	453434

All told, it took me two to three hours to install this kit. I wasn't in a hurry and took my time figuring out where I wanted everything routed. If you have a plan and just go do it, this kit could probably be installed in an hour.
    There are no special tools that you need and aside from removing the loader, nothing has to be removed from the tractor. Nothing needs to be modified on the tractor or the loader. You could remove this kit and no one would ever know it had been on the tractor.

I have been using the third function now for about a month and it is working just like it should. Aside from the connectors on the back, in the middle, and on the front, you don't even notice it. However; every time I push the buttons on the loader stick using my grapple, I get a real big grin on my face.

One last detail that I seemed to have forgotten: This kit was installed on an open station 3039R with a H160 Loader. The 3rd SCV was factory installed.
    Gizmo2, North585, fdmars and 22 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

52Miner (04-22-2018), bmichael (12-05-2017), brethopkins (03-17-2019), Cereus57 (01-20-2019), Drifterbike (09-30-2017), fdmars (04-13-2018), Fozsey (12-05-2017), Gizmo2 (09-17-2017), johnH123 (12-05-2017), Kennyd (09-17-2017), Levi (09-17-2017), Neb (12-06-2017), North585 (07-20-2018), pcabe5 (09-17-2017), PJR832 (12-05-2017), SulleyBear (09-17-2017), Tractor Tim (01-21-2018), vila251 (09-30-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Very nice install and great write-up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pcabe5 For This Useful Post:

rtgt (09-17-2017)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 989 Posts
    rtgt, Levi, SulleyBear and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Thanks for the review. Looks like you did as good, or better/cleaner job routing the hoses, as JD.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.
    Michael

'84 JD 750
    '08 JD Z445
    '71 JD 15 Chainsaw
    And a bunch of other stuff.

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to flyweight For This Useful Post:

rtgt (09-17-2017)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Well done on the install and very well done on the description and photo's.

Your directions and instructions were written well, clear and made sense. Not everyone can accomplish that, but you did.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (09-17-2017), rtgt (09-17-2017)

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    01-05-2018 @ 12:02 PM
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,
    Newbie here,

I looked on Ken's site and there's no phone number that I could find.
    I just got a 2009 2520 with the 200CX loader and a belly mower. I'm getting a grapple, so I need to know if this is the right kit for operating the grapple cylinder?

I've searched the forum for the topic and there's a lot of confusing information for someone new to the tractors. This should be fairly simple to make one extra hydraulic cylinder work.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    PJR832 likes this.

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,967 Times in 2,478 Posts
    Welcome to GTT MCBB,
    Unless your used 2520 came with the optional 3rd SCV kit (a extra valve mounted on the ROPS) then no this kit will not help you at all. Your best bet to operate a grapple would be the Artillian Diverter Kit, it’s 100% plug and play and there is no mods to the tractor or loader.

Fairly simple, yes...fairly cheap, no Nothing about hydraulics is cheap except o-rings and advice on GTT

There are a few other options, but some cost more and some require knowledge of fittings and hydraulics.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    01-05-2018 @ 12:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Welcome to GTT MCBB,
    Unless your used 2520 came with the optional 3rd SCV kit (a extra valve mounted on the ROPS) then no this kit will not help you at all. Your best bet to operate a grapple would be the Artillian Diverter Kit, it’s 100% plug and play and there is no mods to the tractor or loader.

Fairly simple, yes...fairly cheap, no Nothing about hydraulics is cheap except o-rings and advice on GTT

There are a few other options, but some cost more and some require knowledge of fittings and hydraulics.
    OK. So true. Simple is not always cheap.
    Thanks for your help KennyD!
    2009 JD2520-200CX-Mower

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:37 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT, MotorCityBadBoy!!

This hydraulics stuff is confusing. I'm actually going to start another thread in the next day or so with some pictures of the hydraulics on my tractor so smart guys like Kenny can tell me what I have on it.

Kenny gave you some GREAT advice with regards to the Artillian diverter if you want to run a grapple. Hydraulic Products It is expensive and you're probably going to get some "you already spent $XXXXXX on that stupid tractor and now you need to spend more???" grief from your other half. I spent hours and hours reading stuff on diverters and dissecting threads from guys that have pieced systems together their own. As I type this, I'm even looking at a $229 aluminium paperweight (actually it's a diverter valve I bought from an online supply house) purchased with the intent of piecing together my own. Eventually, the reality of trying to figure out hose diameters, fitting types, hydraulic terminology, etc., etc., etc. all convinced me to just purchase the Artillian diverter and call it a day. I had it installed in a few hours (it should only take a couple of hours, but I'm an old-n-slow gray haired fat guy!) and it's worked great for me! This kit is not just for the Artillian Grapple (which I don't own) - mine powers a grapple thumb mounted on my bucket, a hydraulic tree puller and my newly acquired snow blade.

The Artillian kit is designed specifically for your tractor / loader combination. The one for the 200CX loader doesn't even require drilling any holes. The toughest decision you're going to have to make is whether or not you have a cigarette lighter on the tractor to plug the power into or if you're going to have to tap into the fuse panel to power it.

If your time is worth more than $3.00 / hour, you're going to be money ahead to just buy this kit.
    Kennyd likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:01 PM
    Thanks
    Ken, Any plans for a kit for an open station 5055E?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast