Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Stopping snowmobiles with out injury

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-20-2014 @ 06:22 AM
    Thanks

Stopping snowmobiles with out injury

Does anybody know if chicken wire will stop a snowmobile if it gets caught up in the tracks. Just looking to detain them till i can call the sheriff. Also heard if you lay white nylon rope in the snow it gets tangled in the tracks kinda like chaps do when your chainsawing, Any suggestions will kindly be appreciated, yeah I have already thought of the other stuff, bullets are too expensive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    Even if they are in the wrong ,you could get in big trouble if you intentionally hurt them or their machines. Some of the new sleds are 10K +.

About the only thing you can do is put up fencing to keep them off your land.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Though I understand your reasoning for wanting to keep snowmobiling off your land you may want to look into the liability of trapping snowmobiles. I would hate to think of the lawsuit that would come if you killed or injured a rider.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    01-20-2014 @ 06:22 AM
    Thanks
    From what I understand there is no permanent damage to the machine. just a lot of time with a wire cutters. Had the sheriff out and I could put up any barriers so as long as you were not endangering people. Also mentioned that the machine could be detained on your property (it the other guy isn't to big or has a lot of his friends along). They really have to slow down to cross the berm so sudden stoppage would not be a issue. Spent 6 hours piling tons of logs on the entrances. In Minnesota it becomes a gross Misdemeanor when property is posted for snowmobiles.

Going to the head Sheriff to confirm what the deputy said. Will see.

Landowners have no rights, only criminals do

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 480volts View Post
    From what I understand there is no permanent damage to the machine. just a lot of time with a wire cutters. Had the sheriff out and I could put up any barriers so as long as you were not endangering people. Also mentioned that the machine could be detained on your property (it the other guy isn't to big or has a lot of his friends along). They really have to slow down to cross the berm so sudden stoppage would not be a issue. Spent 6 hours piling tons of logs on the entrances. In Minnesota it becomes a gross Misdemeanor when property is posted for snowmobiles.

Going to the head Sheriff to confirm what the deputy said. Will see.

Landowners have no rights, only criminals do

A mean doberman might be the answer. I know it would keep me away.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    Talk to your Insurance agent before you put up any fencing, or lay any traps like chicken wire.

If that chicken wire locks up a sled, and the operator eats the windscreen, dash, or ends up doing a fling W and the sled mauls them....
    Your not going to like where thier insurance company will want to meet you. All they have to do is convince a jury that the Mesh or rope was placed with the intention of causing damage or injury.

We have a section of a Multi county "Rails to trails" that passes just to our SW corner.
    Horseback folks, hikers, sled heads and Bicycle wierdos use the trail all year, and most of the tourist Idiots from Chitcago, cannot comprehend the concept of private property.

After the Idiots on Sleds destroyed 3,500 2yr old bushes one year, I simply decided some drainage ditching was in order, to tie in with the County drain. Nice, deep, square edged ditch, just like the county drain.
    No problems with sleds since then. The Bicycle idiots, and fiddlehead hunting Koreans are another matter..

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    One trick to keep deer out of a area is to lay some sort of fencing on the ground. The fencing bothers their feet, and it will keep them from crossing the fence. This is used in orchards and fields to control crop damage. I would guess the deer in your area have been eating your landscaping and causing problems in your food plots, correct?

I would lay down some fencing or mesh to control the deer problem.

Now, being a concerned citizen who wishes no damage to any visiting neighbors or their equipment, I would post large signs on the edges of my property alerting recreational users that the deer fencing is in use and may cause damage to snow machine tracks if encountered.

I mean, you WERE asking about controlling your deer problem, correct?
    glc, Gizmo2, Furu and 9 others like this.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

10. The Following User Says Thank You to andy b. For This Useful Post:

Sawdust (01-13-2014)

11. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    One trick to keep deer out of a area is to lay some sort of fencing on the ground. The fencing bothers their feet, and it will keep them from crossing the fence. This is used in orchards and fields to control crop damage. I would guess the deer in your area have been eating your landscaping and causing problems in your food plots, correct?

I would lay down some fencing or mesh to control the deer problem.

Now, being a concerned citizen who wishes no damage to any visiting neighbors or their equipment, I would post large signs on the edges of my property alerting recreational users that the deer fencing is in use and may cause damage to snow machine tracks if encountered.

I mean, you WERE asking about controlling your deer problem, correct?
    I like it!
    DFlynn likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-09-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    I don't know what the answer is besides signs and fences, but IMO detaining them is a terrible idea, especially after you've tangled up their sleds in wire and got them pissed off. How will you detain them? I don't know what the laws are where you live, but in most places you cannot detain a trespasser at gunpoint, and you certainly cannot fire at them unless they enter your home or intend to harm you. It likely won't end well for anyone involved except the lawyers.
    2000 355D, 54C MMM
    2008 4120, 400CX FEL

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Thanks
    Here on the WI side of the river...... I have used this.....
    Too obvious to miss no trespassing signs... More signs than minimum requirement...
    With pictures of the signs with other landmarks to identify locations...

Snow fencing to channel trespassers past a hidden trail cam....
    And documentation with the local sheriffs department that this is a problem...
    You are taking pictures and WILL press charges....
    All snowmobiles are supposed to have a registration sticker, and/or license plate of some kind.

Around here there are a lot of trails... Most people are pretty good about staying on the trails....
    But there are always a few.....

Good luck
    felixm22 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast